What's new

Predictions for 2018 (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Glad to hear about Man Called Shenandoah, I'll be picking this one up! It's been a long time since I could pre-order a vintage TV release from WAC...and from what I hear, season one of Mr. Novak will be released later than first suggested, perhaps very late this year. The lovely Beverly Garland guest starred in the premiere episode of Man Called Shenandoah, "The Onslaught" (Sept. 13, 1965)...here is a publicity photo of Beverly Garland with Robert Horton playing the amnesiac man only known to himself and others as "Shenandoah"...Beverly is the dance hall girl who reluctantly nurses the gunshot and left for dead "Shenandoah" back to health so he can wander the West in a bid to discover who he really is and why someone tried to kill him...

28575960_1465082130268069_3241992223133054380_n.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not to speak for Randall, but, judging by all his cheerleading for Chuck Harter's book on the series in its dedicated thread, I'd say the answer to that question would be a hard "yes"!

I don't doubt it-- I would imagine that he would think the Mr. Novak book would make a great companion to the releases (or vice versa), just as I have thought about Petrocelli (book to release)!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I already have the release of one-- a 1965-66 CBS one called The Loner (w/the late Lloyd Bridges).

The Loner is a terrific series, very happy with that Timeless / Shout release. And there's something nice about a one season-and-done series when it comes to buying TV series on DVD...it's a one-time investment. No multiple season sets to worry about. Of course, you do run out of episodes to watch pretty quickly, which might not be so good if you enjoy the show...

If you are a western fan, Ben, I'd also recommend other short-run Timeless / Shout sets, like Tate, The Westerner, Yancy Derringer and The Rebel (though the latter is 2 seasons). All sets are good value.

And to bring this back on topic to the Warner Archive, The Dakotas is also a strong release (only 20 hour-long episodes).

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If you are a western fan, Ben, I'd also recommend other short-run Timeless / Shout sets, like Tate, The Westerner, Yancy Derringer and The Rebel (though the latter is 2 seasons). All sets are good value.

I am somewhat of a Western fan (albeit before I discovered Have Gun, Will Travel [w/the late Richard Boone] and how good it was, I couldn't even stand that genre), and sooner or later, I might actually consider that Rebel release. One great historical reason why? Because it was a Mark Goodson/Bill Todman Production (both of those were game show experts, and this is one of the few series that they did that was not a game show). Another? It would be a Western from a different network (The Rebel being on ABC).

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes to all the above! I'm a ready market for WAC's beautiful and remastered Blu-rays of their feature films, they release up to 6 per month now. I just picked up Harper, Drowning Pool and The Hanging Tree, and am thrilled that they have just announced Dark of the Sun for HD, but I don't want them to neglect their vintage WB and MGM TV series...and Mr. Novak S1 is eagerly anticipated by me since WAC's George Feltenstein himself told author Chuck Harter at the WB offices last September that Mr. Novak season one was in the works...

Ben and Jeff, I agree that so many of those one season Western shows were remarkably good...The Westerner, The Dakotas, The Loner and Tate are all great...and Yancy Derringer is one of my all time favorites, inviting comparison to the early years of Maverick and not suffering in comparison! Love for The Rebel 2 seasons too! I enjoyed WAC's last vintage TV Western release, Hondo, as well.

The heroic and self sacrificing loner wandering the West, into and out of our weekly TV viewings of the day was a great model for entertaining and long lasting series too, as HGWT exemplified...I myself have only about half of the run for Man Called Shenandoah from 16mm and look forward to seeing the rest in this newly remastered release!
amancalledshenandoah_1451244229.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I myself have only about half of the run for Man Called Shenandoah from 16mm and look forward to seeing the rest in this newly remastered release!

Similarly, I have 3 full seasons' worth of Have Gun, and the first parts of the fourth and fifth seasons, but I'd definitely like to get the rest sooner or later.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I have at least two vintage (1980s) Paramount releases up my sleeve:
Solid Gold: 5-Day Workout (1984) - a stripped down version of Solid Gold (1980-88), which focuses on various aerobics courses (who doesn't forget those old Jane Fonda tapes?), featuring the season 4 (1983-84) Solid Gold dancers lineup!

(released in 1984 by Paramount Home Video on VHS, Betamax and LaserDisc)

Vic Braden's Tennis for the Future (1980-82) - an instructional sports program, produced by WGBH Boston in association with Greg Harney for PBS:

(was released in 1983 by Paramount Home Video on VHS, Betamax and possibly LaserDisc, but their TV logo at the end baffles me!)

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Among the vintage Hanna-Barbera stuff, we know that The New Fred & Barney Show (1979-80) and 2 Stupid Dogs (1993-95) are to be due out sometime this summer or fall on DVD (per this year's Wondercon), however I still hope Warner Archive will release the following in the future:
Ruff & Reddy (1957)
The Huckleberry Hound Show (1958) (seasons 2-4)
The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959)
Wally Gator (1962)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Cattanooga Cats (1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972, CBS)
These are the Days (1974)
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
Dynomutt: Dog Wonder (1976)
C.B. Bears (1977, complete 1 hour series)
Skatebirds (1977, complete 1 hour series)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
Yogi's Space Race (1978, complete 90 minute series)
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Thing (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980, NBC; complete 90 minute/1 hour series)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (1980-82, volumes 2-3)
Trollkins (1981)
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-89)
Paw Paws (1985-87)

~Ben

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The Man from Shenandoah is coming in May!
This is the first TV show or animated show that I have wanted from them in well over a year. Hopefully the rest of the year improves over the dismal 2017 and first 4 months of this year. More than a dozen 60's and 70's Hanna Barbera shows still needed. The detective shows, colt .45, The thin man tv show all would be instant purchases.
I just ordered the Man from Shenandoah. I didn't watch that show when it ran in prime time but I'm looking forward to seeing it now for the first time. I always liked Robert Horton from his memorable stint on Wagon Train.
I'm still hoping for Colt 45, Father Of The Bride, and Many Happy Returns. Since WBA has shown a willingness to release obscure shows like Shenandoah , I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that they could be released .

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Among the vintage Hanna-Barbera stuff, we know that The New Fred & Barney Show (1979-80) and 2 Stupid Dogs (1993-95) are to be due out sometime this summer or fall on DVD (per this year's Wondercon), however I still hope Warner Archive will release the following in the future:
Ruff & Reddy (1957)
The Huckleberry Hound Show (1958) (seasons 2-4)
The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959)
Wally Gator (1962)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Cattanooga Cats (1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972, CBS)
These are the Days (1974)
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
Dynomutt: Dog Wonder (1976)
C.B. Bears (1977, complete 1 hour series)
Skatebirds (1977, complete 1 hour series)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
Yogi's Space Race (1978, complete 90 minute series)
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Thing (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980, NBC; complete 90 minute/1 hour series)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (1980-82, volumes 2-3)
Trollkins (1981)
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-89)
Paw Paws (1985-87)

~Ben

Hopefully one or two from the top 15 in your list make it out two. I don't think most would consider 2 stupid dogs vintage HB. I always forget that they made that because it doesn't resemble the HB animation style. I would also much rather have the Flintstones Comedy hour 1972 than the Fred and Barney show. But I will probably consider it since its been well a year and half since they released any HB I could buy. I think Peter Potamus is the last one I bought. Nothing from the 60's or 70's since then. I wish they would release Yogi's Space Race (complete 90 minute show) since that was rumored to be worked on over 2 years ago but I guess they ran into some trouble assembling the whole show. So it could be out in the fall assuming they didn't abandon plans for it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Any news on Paradise S2?

I sent a message to Warner Archive, but only received the standard ‘we try to answer all questions, but we’re busy now’ response

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The three releases for June are
Step by Step season 1
Living Single season 5 (and final season)
Perfect Strangers season 4

I was really hoping for an animated and a slightly older series.

James
I'm hoping that they release season 2 of Mayberry RFD in July or August.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
At this point, I'd just like to see Warner finish "Eleventh Hour" which had its first season released two to three years ago!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
At this point, I'd just like to see Warner finish "Eleventh Hour" which had its first season released two to three years ago!

And, albeit it's not my cup of tea, I'd also like to see them complete Falcon Crest-- that 1981-90 CBS Friday serial has only had 1/3 of its run out (first being on regular discs, and second and third on MODs [second standalone, third in volumes, IINM])!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks