Project UFO
Jake 2.0
John Doe

Confirmed releases:
Mr. Novak
Blue Knight
Perfect Strangers
(continuing on from season 2)

As per last year's guesses, I did get one out of twenty, that being The Magician. So keep that in mind when it comes to my predictions. We had about twenty-five to thirty unreleased series coming out this year; so I think it's premature to call TVDVD dead just yet. And I think it will be reasonable to assume we will be getting something from WB Archives, Kino, Shout, and VEI. Biggest surprises for 2017 were Coronet Blue and It's About Time, so I wouldn't any series out. Various series from WB Archives such as Alice, Jamie Foxx, Hanging with Mr. Cooper, Living Single, What I Like About You, and the Wayun Brothers will continue on and be completed.

Other observations?

James

I would add:
Captain Nice or Mr. Terrific
Brady Brides
Brady Bunch Variety Hour

Just some late additions, James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well.. WB Archives is releasing Static Shock set 3. Would the count as the first TV DVD release of the year by the Warner Archives?

James

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I want Hunter 77 as well. There was an episode that I kept missing the ending to. It was the one where Linda's character was "brainwashed" to do something, but never saw the ending.

James

I picked up a set of it in a trade from someone who recorded them from one of the Scandinavian countries. In English with their subtitles on it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
In an interview with the owner of Film Chest:

Fans of “Decoy” will be happy to know Film Chest is in the process of obtaining the rights to another forgotten but important 1950s TV series, “Deadline,” based on real newspaper stories of the day.

“We have found the original 16mm film for that one,” Stevens says, grinning. “It will be the perfect companion piece to ‘Decoy.’”

Sounds like they're mining the old Official Films library. There's a bunch more shows they could put out. By the way, they found the 16mm film, what about the 35s?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I know I’m just missing the obvious, but can anyone explain why 16mm film is a useable source for a set of Deadline which will cost about $13, but 35mm films of The Name Of the Game, The Defenders, Switch, and Hec Ramsey are so expensive to transfer that announced plans were abandoned rather than use film sources? Is it just that Universal and CBS are artificially inflating the in-house transfer costs because of their own accounting needs? I really enjoyed Decoy and I’m looking forward to Deadline, so I’m certainly not denigrating these series. I just don’t see why more high-profile series aren’t available via the same methods.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
-Planet of the Apes(1974) Blu-Ray
-Planet of the Apes(1975/animated)Blu-Ray

-St. Elsewhere complete series from Time/Life

-Unsolved Mysteries complete series from VEI

-the Incredible Hulk complete series Blu Ray from Mill Creek

Continued seasons on DVD of:
Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Gunsmoke, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and finally more Happy Days.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Disney-Fox deal might have an effect on Shout! getting stuff out of them, but I hope I'm wrong. Still, I hope the continued absence of the rest of St. Elsewhere on DVD is so the set that does eventually come out (and it can't stay unavailable forever) won't be disappointing. The Fox set of season 1 seemed as half-hearted as what they did for WKRP. Shout came through as best as they could with that one, so they still might surprise us.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
This thread has caused me to take the crystal ball down from the closet and fire it up. It hasn't been used in a while but it still works. It is showing me a color show of a genre well represented on DVD. One that has been available but not in the U.S.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I predict the 1970s series, Family, will be released since it seems that Shout has been releasing many series from the Sony library lately (Police Woman, One Day at a Time, etc.).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess that home video has been very good to me — well, except for no complete St. Elsewhere!

-St. Elsewhere complete series from Time/Life

The Disney-Fox deal might have an effect on Shout! getting stuff out of them, but I hope I'm wrong. Still, I hope the continued absence of the rest of St. Elsewhere on DVD is so the set that does eventually come out (and it can't stay unavailable forever) won't be disappointing. The Fox set of season 1 seemed as half-hearted as what they did for WKRP. Shout came through as best as they could with that one, so they still might surprise us.

It's time for me to walk in the room and high-five Rick, Bryan and Matthew and say "Me, too" for St. Elsewhere.

And so ends my participation in another annual TV on DVD wishlist thread. :D

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The last of my Christmas presents arrived in the mail today, three movie serials. I plan to relieve a store of some DVDs from their bargain bin on January 27 (I'll explain why on this date), then fold like a book until April). :3dglasses:

Here's an astronomical long-shot:

All 19 seasons of Lassie. :rock:

Last edited:

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
I know I’m just missing the obvious, but can anyone explain why 16mm film is a useable source for a set of Deadline which will cost about $13, but 35mm films of The Name Of the Game, The Defenders, Switch, and Hec Ramsey are so expensive to transfer that announced plans were abandoned rather than use film sources? Is it just that Universal and CBS are artificially inflating the in-house transfer costs because of their own accounting needs? I really enjoyed Decoy and I’m looking forward to Deadline, so I’m certainly not denigrating these series. I just don’t see why more high-profile series aren’t available via the same methods.

Hit the nail right on the head, these in-house transfer costs are biggest fucking scam, its the reason why we have such sub-par releases of Laramie, M Squad and whole bunch of others because universal wanted some astronomical figure to transfer the masters so timeless had to scour the earth to get whatever prints were available, and now because of the same policy we've gone from getting sub-par sets to none at all.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Will Hay's OH MR PORTER 1937 will be restored by The British Film Institute and released on Blu-Ray

Criswell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks