What's new

Prediction Thread: Season's first cancel / Season's new success (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Steve Armbrust /t/323576/prediction-thread-seasons-first-cancel-seasons-new-success/30#post_3985984
My favorites are usually the ones cancelled first, and the ones I hate seem to last. That being said, the ones I've already stopped recording are:
Vegas
Elementary
I'm on the fence yet about Mob Doctor.
So they'll probably all be big hits. I still vote Vegas as most likely to be cancelled first.
The ratings for Vegas and Elementary are just too good right now for them to be among the first shows cancelled. Vega on Tuesday nights was only behind NCIS shows for ratings and even beat Dancing with the Stars. As to Elementary the same applies to it on Thursday night as CBS has strong shows before Elementary just like it does with the NCIS shows for Vegas.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If anything gets canceled on CBS early it will be either MADE IN JERSEY or PARTNERS. There really aren't any serious holes in their schedule anywhere else.
BEN AND KATE and THE MINDY PROJECT got picked up for the full season today. (Big surprise as they had less than stellar premiere numbers).
So looking at things now, I'd say MOB DOCTOR seems to be the most in jeopardy with possibly GUYS WITH KIDS also skating on thin ice.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Not really a prediction, but I've viewed at least one episode of just about everything new that I'm going to try on broadcast and here is my rough ranking
1. Elementary - liked the acting and writing of the first episode; if the show can develop over the season and improve it will be an excellent series.
2. 666 Park Avenue - at least partially for the production design, there are some gorgeous sets. Glad to see Terry O'Quinn given a darker role.
3. Vegas - a little too stereotyped but I'm fond of most period pieces and the cast is solid.
4. Revolution - like the genre, the execution a little bit less, and I hope the lead actress becomes less annoying as the series develops.
5. Last Resort - my most anticipated show based on the trailers, but not really working for me so far.
6. Partners - if Michael Urie tones down his character a bit, I might like this one.
7. The Neighbors - Did not work for me at all.
I'm done with The Neighbors and will give Last Resort and Partners a few more episodes.
Okay now for the predictions. Elementary will be one of the bigger shows to catch on this year. Mob Doctor and The Neighbors will be two of the first cancellations.
- Walter.
1. Really enjoying Elementary, Lucy Liu just needs to be given a bigger part in the show
2. Interesting, hope it is given a chance to develop. Like the fact it's not just a haunted building, but that the Gavins seems to be in control of the building. Not holding out much hope for this one, probably an early cancellation.
3. Haven't watched, just no interest in this one.
4. Watching episode three right now, kind of neutral at this time for me. Had high hopes for it, but maybe not so much any longer. But it has been picked up for the entire season, so I'll give it a chance.
5. Not great, enjoyed the first episode but not sure they can carry it off for a full season or more. Rumors are it's a likely cancellation.
6. Urie is a bit hyper, but enjoying the show. Brandon Routh is being totally wasted, hopefully he'll be given a bit more to do in the future.
7. Thought it was awful at first, but it's starting to grow on me. Could be one of those odd-ball comedies that succeeds or fades away quickly. Just read that three additional scripts have been ordered, so the network seems to be giving it a chance.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Fox gives a backorder to "Ben and Kate" and "The Mindy Project" signalling that will NOT be the first shows gone.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/fox-gives-back-orders-to-freshman-comedies-the-mindy-project-ben-kate/

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Fox gives a backorder to "Ben and Kate" and "The Mindy Project" signalling that will NOT be the first shows gone.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/fox-gives-back-orders-to-freshman-comedies-the-mindy-project-ben-kate/
Have only seen one episode of each of these shows, but they were enjoyable.
I like the fact the networks seem to be giving new series more of a chance this year than they have in the past. Not basing things on one or two showings and cancelling something. Gives a show a chance to gain an audience rather than just passing judgment and axing something immediately. Plus scheduling these around already successful shows will probably help them get noticed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We have a winner:
CBS has just cancelled "Made in Jersey" after two episodes.
Drama repeats will fill in on Fridays until November 2, when the next season of "Undercover Boss" takes its place.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Malcolm R said:
We have a winner:
CBS has just cancelled "Made in Jersey" after two episodes.
Drama repeats will fill in on Fridays until November 2, when the next season of "Undercover Boss" takes its place.
Janet Montgomery just can't catch a break since Entourage...:rolleyes:
And you know Stephanie March was like..."L&O was how long ago???"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's was sort of tough to make it through the pilot for "Made in Jersey", I just had a hard time with all of the Jersey cliches.
I still can't believe "Animal Practice" is still on the air.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
"Made in Jersey" looked DOA just seeing the previews, I never even watched an episode.
After now seeing a second episode of "Ben and Kate" and "The Mindy Project", they've moved up my list of next to go.
Partners is actually turning out fairly well so I hope it makes it. Brandon Routh's role is being given more air time and his odd cluelessness is kind of fun to watch.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323576/prediction-thread-seasons-first-cancel-seasons-new-success/30#post_3987015
After now seeing a second episode of "Ben and Kate" and "The Mindy Project", they've moved up my list of next to go.

As hard as it is to believe, they've both been given full season orders by Fox.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
As hard as it is to believe, they've both been given full season orders by Fox.
Wow, that's surprising. They're not awful, but really pretty mediocre shows. They're still on my DVR schedule, so I'll try then for a few more weeks before I totally give up on them.
"Ben and Kate" is reasonably enjoyable, but Mindy is pretty painful to watch. They're both tucked in between successful shows, so maybe enough carry through audience to keep them going.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
The only ones of the above I have seen is Animal Practice, and it makes me hate myself. Completely agree.
Also New Normal. Completely Agree.
the others I didn't even watch because I knew they would tank.
and a show in it's sophomore year... that I'm a BIG fan of, New Girl.... I have NOT been impressed with this show so far in season two. Not whatsoever.
sorry, just noticed, but I also have seen, and like the Mindy Project. she's a great writer and I think it shows.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How can you not like Rizzo??? He's a great painter... (I'm sure 90% of you have no idea what any of that means)...
And the New Normal...
Aside from the "I still can't believe I'm an actress, oh wait" acting style of the lead...this show has promise. Fiona (as I'm sure the young actress is somewhat shades of the character...in real life) can be more natural...but the two guys, plus Nene and Ellen...are great.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/12/nbc-cancels-mid-season-comedy-next-caller-before-it-airs/152807/

"Next Caller" officially cancelled.
Never heard of it? Well, a few episodes got filmed, but it never hit the air.
Whoops.

Good job, NBC

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Talk about shows "no-one cares about"...
The announcers for the Nats/Cards(good game if you are a Nats fan) were mocking the fact Cougar Town is moving to TBS...
Coincidentally (maybe???) Collette Wolfe is in CT and was in Next Caller...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't know that I would have watched Next Caller, but I always think it's sad when a show dies without even being given a chance.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/12/nbc-cancels-mid-season-comedy-next-caller-before-it-airs/152807/
"Next Caller" officially cancelled.
Never heard of it?  Well, a few episodes got filmed, but it never hit the air.
Whoops.
Good job, NBC
Definitely never heard of it. Must have been pretty bad to have been pulled before even being shown.
At least that awful "Playboy Club" and that odd show about the guys in drag last season got a few airings before being pulled. "Next Caller" didn't even make it to the pilot stage. Apparently four episodes were filmed, but will never be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks