Predator - which version?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    It looks as though I am a bit late coming to purchase a copy of Schwarzenegger's Predator though I see some DTS version available.

I also see a region 2 version labeled "uncut" 2-disc with featurettes. But their uncut version looks to be 102 minutes while the DTS is 107 minutes. Is the DTS an "uncut" version with the extra gore ... plus?

Then I see that the non-DTS is available on the used markets but reviews lead one to believe that the DTS is a "better" transfer but still not perfect.

Which one should I get for region 1? And is there going to be a re-issue to give this movie the proper 2-disc treatment and better transfer?

Eric

2. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The 2-disc SE is supposed to come out this year in R1 to cash in on "Alien vs. Predator". I'd hold off because it should be the uncut version with all the extras from the foreign releases, and you never know, Fox may give it a new transfer.

3. Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast Stunt Coordinator

Runtimes are always differnt anyway when you compare Region 1 and Region 2 discs. Sames as VHS Tapes. Maybe about 3 or 4 minutes difference. Something to with the formats.

4. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

PAL versions will always be shorter because movies have to be sped up from 24fps to 25fps to work with the format.

5. andrew markworthy

The 'uncut' version of the R2 SE is identical to the R1 version. The reason for announcing it as uncut is because due to an error, the original R2 release (i.e. the pre-SE version) was of the 'cut for TV' version which was considerably censored. Curiously, the original Brit VHS version was uncut.

Incidentally, if you need a detailed regional comparison of releases, a good site it this one.

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

The Predator:SE for R1 should be out by late July/early August just in time for the theatrical release of Alien vs. Predator on Aug 6. I'm surprised we havent' heard a release date announcement with specs yet, especially since Fox already stated in their chat that it's definitely coming this summer.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yes, I would like to know if it's a new transfer.

8. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

dvdanswers.com has a picture of the coverart for the new Predator:Collector's Edition (I assume this is region 1). It looks to be in a 2 disc digipak package and is number 15 (as indicated on the spine) in Fox's new series of collector editions. No further information was provided beyond an expected release of sometime in the summer of this year.

9. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay
    deleted

10. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Sheesh, what's up with that cover?