What's new

Predator 5 star collection (1 Viewer)

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
PAL is used because it is a superior broadcast system that provides a greater resolution than NTSC. Videotapes weren't even invented when the PAL system was being used, so when films on tape did come about, they just had to stick with the same system. Anyway, sure, the picture and sound run 4% faster (as can be seen from comparing running times) but to this day I have yet to notice any real difference.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Also bought Predator SE this week on region 2, packed with extras inc commentary, picture is variable, some scenes ok, some grainy, this film has always been grainy, I saw it at the cinema, it was still grainy, what film stock were they using, super 8?

Nice extras, good documentaries, also includes a tribute to the late Kevin Peter Hall who played the predator, you can see him without makeup as the helicopter pilot at the end of the film.

Also bought Speed SE this week, which has even more extras than Predator, and the picture quality is fantastic!! The sound is DTS.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I also received the R2 SE disc today and so far I have only watched the documantary If it bleeds, you can kill it. This was far better than I thought, clear picture and very thorough and detailed, with most of the cast incl Bill Duke, Carl Weathers and others reflecting back 15 years later. The main menu was great as well, I thought. Now I will go and watch the rest of the 2 discs.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
This has to be released as a 5-star in region 1.
anyone know a tentative release date?
hopefully this year(along with True Lies)

DannyS

Second Unit
In regard to my comments on PAL SPEED-UP.

When I saw the UK DVD of predator I winced at the speeded up music.

Now, This may be lost on people in the UK who do not listen to a lot of film scores on CD or MP3 etc etc..

I have listened to the predator score as long as I can remember. It's one of my all time favourite theme tunes and soundtracks. I know the music inside and out and it's a crime it has not had an official release on CD.

I collect film scores on CD and have always been a fan of Silvestri's. When I only had a PAL VHS player (Dark days) I would get hooked on some film music, buy it on CD and be astonished at the slowness of it all. Of course, I had no idea back then of the different video standards and film speeds. And I had no Idea that what I was listenig to was the CORRECT speed!

PAL Speed up, will ONLY MATTER TO YOU if you know the music to a film inside out and are a fan of great music. You notice it IMMEADIATELY.

THIS IS REAL. HONEST! check the run times of UK DVDS and US DVDS. UK DVDS are shorter..NOT because they have stuff missing (MOST OF THE TIME! don't get me started) but becasue they all run just that little bit faster.

It's a complex thang.. and their are loads of sites that explain it.

Anyway. Until I see arnie get out of the chopper to silvestri's score thumping away rather than running away. I WON'T BE HAPPY!

PREDATOR 5 STAR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please...?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I noticed this, on all things Buffy the Vampire Slayer on TV. The theme music is pitched higher (presumably because its running faster) on TV than on the R1 DVD

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm the biggest AWNULD fan so whatever it takes to get his films in the highest format I'm all for it.

I do have to say that I'd rather they take more care into True Lies right now! The Current DTS version of Predator is actually quite good sound and picture wise. The only time I see grain is in the first couple of minutes.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
A Five Star edition of Predator would grow hair on your chest and give you the Sexual Appetite of a Tyranosaurus.
God I love Jesse Ventura.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
What annoys me is the fact that the studios can't ever seem to coordinate SIMULTANEOUS WORLDWIDE releases of some of their catalog titles. There's no reason any part of the world should have an exclusive title or SE while everyone else in the world has to wait months or years to see it.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
For those of you who want to avoid the PAL speedup, there is a Japanese R2 Ultimate Edition, which is the same as the R2 U.K. & R4 Australian discs in terms of supplements.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry but it is incorrect to say that PAL runs at an incorrect frame rate - if anything PAL can generate a superior picture to NTSC and to say that the sound is somehow faster because of this is equally as baffling. As for actually noticing a difference in sound??? Are you guys serious???? Come on now...
For someone who hadn't even heard of PAL speedup a couple posts before, you sure seem to think you're an authority now. Let's examine the facts:
film - 24 fps
film on PAL - 25 fps

That indicates that films on PAL do indeed run at an incorrect frame rate. NTSC is ~30 frames per second, however six frames per second are duplicated maintaining the proper speed. No frames are duplicated for PAL, so the soundtrack is sped up and the film is played at a faster rate. This results in (assuming my calculations are correct), a 2 hour film ending exactly 5 minutes earlier. While on NTSC the soundtrack is identical to the original, it must be sped up on PAL to account for the shorter running time.

That said, the resolution PAL offers iis superior to NTSC. But is it worth it at the cost of the original soundtrack?

DannyS

Second Unit
dear justin. thank you for you comments. As I have said, in the end it all comes down to personal preference. I can hear a difference. Also. I am waiting for the US version. WHy?

Because it's bound to have more. Terminator anyone?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Although these are the specs for the UK release, these are the potential features of a possible R1 release of Preadtor:
Disc 1:
Commentary by Director John McTiernan
Text Commentary With Film Historian
DVD-Rom Game
Remastered Movie in DTS
Disc 2:
"If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It" Documentary Inside Predator - 7 Featurettes on stunts
- Classified Action - Stunts and Special Effects
- The Unseen Arnold
- Old Painless - The Most Intimidating Gun Ever
- The Life Inside - Tribute to Kevin Peter Hall
- Camouflage
- Welcome to the Jungle
- Character Design
Outtakes
Deleted Scenes
Predator "Red Suit" Special Effects
Predator Camouflage Tests
Photo Gallery
And Much More, Including Hiddeen Features
Currently For sale in the UK
Hopefully soon in the U.S.

So you say you have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks