What's new

Predator 3D coming to Blu-ray in December (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Um, why is this $59.99 on Amazon?
Because, I believe, that is an overseas offering as the current Blu-ray seems
to be a Fox Connect exclusive at the moment.

I am not getting involved in this screencap mess either. I hate screencaps and
don't use them for reference.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm not sure screencaps can be completely dismissed in this instance. If screencaps from two different discs look virtually identical, logically it's hard to conclude anything other than the latest version being pretty much the same transfer as the UHE, converted to 3D. Obviously I'll reserve final judgement until a proper review, but it would make sense that the original (2008) transfer just wasn't contrasty enough for use in 3D anyway.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Based on a few reviews and forum reports, the 3D version is actually pretty decent. It's just weird that the US release has a DVD copy included, while the European releases have all the old extras in BD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Based on a few reviews and forum reports, the 3D version is actually pretty decent.
My concern -- and this is based on one of the reviews I read -- is that they didn't convert
the entire film. Mostly only the jungle scenes were upconverted.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Ronald Epstein said:
My concern -- and this is based on one of the reviews I read -- is that they didn't convert
Please don't tell me they didn't convert the World's Manliest Handshake.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
For 14.96, I have this release because I love this film. I won't be able to watch it over the next few days as real home projects have priority over my BD viewing.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Jari K said:
It's just weird that the US release has a DVD copy included, while the European releases have all the old extras in BD.

Just another example of the backwards-leaning antics of US studios. Europeans do everything better, apparently. Look at the awesome steelbooks coming out of the UK, while in the US we're stuck with stupid eco cases. And that thing about US movies being released in territories OTHER than the US first really bugs me.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Watched this tonight. Did it look like the film originally looked? No! There isn't even a speck of grain in sight. Did I have fun watching it? Hell yeah. The 3D is already altering the directors intent of the film so I guess the film grain scrubbing just moves it even further in that direction. Sure some shots looked pretty damn waxy but others contained finer details. The main attraction is the 3D effect that I thought looked pretty damn good. There aren't too many "pop out" moments but the 3D "suits" the film and made me feel like I was in the thick of the jungle with them.

So, all in all, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but if you enjoy 3D then it's worth a purchase. I went for the Predator bust edition and it looks pretty awesome on the shelf, if you're into that kind-of thing.

Pic of the Predator bust edition:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The bust does look pretty good.

I would not expect any 3D pop-out with this. Most upconversions
don't or can't accomplish that.

I may eventually pick up the release just to have the 2D version in
my collection as currently I do not.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Ronald Epstein said:
I popped in my copy last night and can confirm the non jungle scenes are converted. Even the opening space shot has depth in the stars and the Predator's ship zooms slightly off the screen as it passes the camera.

I won't get around to watching the whole thing untill after the holidays but I agree that the conversion looks pretty good. Nice amount of depth in the scenes I looked at. :)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Ronald Epstein said:
I may eventually pick up the release just to have the 2D version inmy collection as currently I do not.
Not sure why you'd want to do that, because as I understand it the 2D version in this set is the vastly inferior Ultimate Hunter Edition.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Have to disagree with many here ... I wasn't impressed with this conversion. I ended up having to add a couple of clicks of depth on my projector to get it to not look so flat. Never had to do that before on a 3D title. And it was scrubbed clean of any grain and much of the subtle detail. This poor title has still never gotten a proper release.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Ronald Epstein said:
The bust does look pretty good.

I would not expect any 3D pop-out with this. Most upconversions
don't or can't accomplish that.

I may eventually pick up the release just to have the 2D version in
my collection as currently I do not.

you are much better off to get the 2008 version.

having said that. I did watch the 3d version. the jungle stuff is great. It was mostly the opening scene with Arnold and the general that the DNR is really bad. it seems less during the jungle stuff.

Jacob

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
So basically this release is meant strictly for people who have medium-to-high-end 3D setups, not people just looking for something better than the Ultimate Hunter Edition (because it's literally the same transfer, just slightly worse in the DNR dept.)?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now I have no interest in this release.

I don't own Predator on Blu-ray. It would have been nice if they did a total remaster of
the 2D version knowing the complaints about it.

I suppose when Fox told me the title was remastered, they were strictly speaking of the
3D release.

Seems rather odd that they wouldn't start with a brand new 2D master and upconvert
the 3D from that. Wouldn't that make the most sense? Make everyone happy?

Guess I will forever enjoy this on DVD.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Upon the release of the "Ultimate Hunter Edition," and now with the new 3D version, I've decided to stick with the original 2008 Blu-ray. It's nothing special in terms of image quality, but the UHE is a complete disaster. The original version doesn't have any special features, but the presentation quality has to be the most important consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks