What's new

Predator 2 R2 PAL DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Went over to BlackStar to eye the Predator SE available on PAL R2 DVD. I noticed that they were also selling a Predator / Predator 2 (Widescreen) DVD Box set, also R2 of course. I was a bit surprised because I never heard about Predator 2 being available on DVD anywhere. According to Black Star, this set has been out since June 2001. From what I can gather, Predator 2 is only available in this set.
I'm thinking about picking it up. Stinks to have to buy the bare bones original Predator with it, since I'll probably get the SE R2, but I'll buy the set to get the sequel.
Anyone have it? Any reviews out there? It's 16x9 widescreen, so that's a good start. Considering the only alternative is the old P&S laserdisc, this seems to be a no brainer.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Interesting. How's the quailty on that Japanese DVD? Optional Japanese subtitles, right?

It's actually more expensive than the R2 PAL set, but I'm probably better off going with NTSC over PAL (though my player does convert PAL very nicely).

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Dave IMHO I think the transfer is pretty good. All subtitles are removable. The menu is japanese but that is not a hinderance.

Declan

Second Unit
plus the fact that the version of Predator 1 on the r2 boxset is cut to shit. No "stick around", no nothing. It's basically a TV version. Is'nt there gonna be a SpEd of Pred 2 in the US at the same time as the first one.

Also, do any of you guys know if The Rescue (old touchtone pictures film from 87 or 88 starring Kevin Dillon)is coming or is already out on dvd

cheers

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
It is out on a single disc in Scandinavia: http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_...ang=&id=28838& but is also available at Proxis, a Belgiam webshop: Link Removed. The only idfference, as far as I can see, would be the subtitle tracks...
I own the Scandinavian version, it is uncut (AFAIK) and the quality is quite OK, decent anamorphic transfer and good 5.1 sound.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
declan:
I'm in Australia and have the r4 DVD. The r2 and r4 SEs are the full uncut versions - it was the original releases we had were butchered to smithereens.
Predator 2 has been out here for quite a while. You may wanna check www.michaeldvd.com.au for a r4 review, which should be identical to the r2...

Declan

Second Unit
yeah it was the original predator 1 and 2 bare bones r2 boxset that I was on about. The r2 SpEd is uncut.;)

Chad B.

Second Unit
I also have the R4 Predator 2. The transfer is far better than the transfer used for the original in R1. The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is excellent!

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Does the R2 release (or any of the other regions) contain the full release that was on the laserdisc - ie the version with the scene where Billy battles the predator on the bridge? In the VHS version I had, you could only here the scream when Billy dies, there was no fight scene.

Thanks.

Darren.

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
I have the UK 2 disc R2 special edition and it does NOT contain the scene with the Predator and Billy as an outtake or a deleted scene :frowning: . Too bad, I've never seen this scene actually.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
hmm. i could've sworn there was an extended take of billy on that rope bridge.. but i haven't seen it since it came out on DVD.. so apologies if I misled anyone. short term memory is a bitch!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Where is everyone getting the NTSC R0 version of Predator 2 from that I keep seeing on Ebay. I've tried my old haunts and I can't find it.
ps. Predator SE 2 disc is available in Korean R3 in NTSC.

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

How can you tell when these R3 are boots? Just curious.
Also, is the release date you mention for R3 or R1? I'd heard that they were "afraid" to release this in R1 because the last version was just released in 2000.

BTW, I live outside of Boulder, so we aren't that far apart. I may have to pick your brain for where you buy discs locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks