What's new

Precision Acoustics 5.1- any good? (1 Viewer)

stretch90

Auditioning
Real Name
Shahzad
Hey everyone,
I saw a deal for a Precision Acoustic 5.1 set with selling for $500. Bestbuy claims that the it's on sale from $1000 but I don't know if I believe it. Anyway, I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this brand or these speakers specifically.
Also, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm trying to find a good 5.1 set with tall speakers or ones that I can get stands for. Anyway, please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001273.aspx?path=26cedcf9a3d2ffacc3db8fd4efe3ae75en02

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Have you listened to them? Only you can know if they sound good to you - everyone hears things differently and has different preferences.

I don't have any firsthand experience with this brand of speaker.

On paper, the weakest link of the system is the subwoofer. It is only a 10" model (bigger is better when it comes to subwoofers) and its frequency response only goes down to 35Hz. Ideally you'd get something that reaches to 25Hz or lower.

This is often the case of speaker "systems". Many manufacturers of speakers make average at best subwoofers. There are a number of Internet-direct subwoofer brands out there that provide much better value than anything you'll find in a store, but with you being in Canada, I understand your options are a bit more limited.

The rest of the speakers seem to be ok. They have decent sensitivity (a good measure of how loud they'll play) and although the impedance (in ohms) is not listed, it's pretty safe to assume they're 6 or 8 ohm models. You should verify this at the store, however. If they happen to be lower than 6 ohms, don't get them.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Since you cannot find a web site for Precision Acoustic or who makes them then it might be safe to assume they are a house brand that Best Buy had made up for them to their specifications. Much as Sears does with it's Kenmore appliances. Since you have no idea who made these speakers your only judge is to let your ears evaluate them to other speaker systems in that price range. In fact that is the best way to evaluate a any speaker system.

AverageDude

Auditioning
Real Name
Jake
Hi,
I recently listened the Precision Acoustics centre channel in the store, then found out it was over 50% off a few weeks later and bought it.

Personally, i think it sounds overall quite good. At the Best Buy store, I compared it to the other models by switching the cables in the back (the sales reps probably werent to happy about that but i had to hear the different speakers with the same source :P)
I found this speaker to have a much crisper and cleaner sound than the bose one they had for sure, and was comparable if not better than the infinity they had on stock, and the Klipsh sounded almost identical. I know that they are only a store brand, although i've heard rumors they are manufactured by the same parent company as Harman/Kardons are. Its actually a very clear sounding centre channel, and i was very suprised how much i liked it coming from a brand ive never heard of. After setting it up and adjusting it to the room, i played some of my reference tracks and it sounded excellent. Very strong vocal range with good highs.

However, Im sure that If you were to stack it up against the new PSB centre or a KEF they would for sure beat it but then again, youre gonna end up paying at least 300$ for that one speaker.

I cant really say much for the other speakers in the box, but i hope this helps :)

-Average

DennisCanuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
This is DEFINITELY NOT a house brand.
Here's their web site
http://precision-acoustics.com/
It took two seconds to find it via GOOGLE.

DennisCanuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
It's not a house brand.
Their web site is
http://precision-acoustics.com/
For the price, their products are hard to beat.
But again sound is quite personal, so test them before you buy.

audiotronic

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Please note, this IS a housebrand. Yes, they have their own website. But the company was purchased by BestBuy a few years ago. Thus the incredible deals. Ask any one of the floor staff at BestBuy who knows about speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks