What's new

Preamps with built in screens (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Gotta admit they look pretty cool in magazine adverts but are they useful?
Cant really think of a use except maybe for a 2nd zone. They tend to be pretty $$$$$ right now, but if anyone has one are they an expensive gimmick or a handy tool?

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a preamp with a built-in screen, but I did add a small 5.6" LCD monitor for my AVR. The monitor is situated next to my listening position. I use the screen to set-up my system and make minor adjustments. Also when I'm listening to music only on DirecTV and I want to find out more who's playing, I look at my monitor instead of having to turn-on my RP TV just to find out who's playing. I'll also use it to cue up a movie while everyone else is watching another program on my RP TV. While it does add to the COOL factor, I find it very useful! I didn't want the LCD on my preamp as I wouldn't be able to see the info from my listening position.

Arnold

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Arnold, that is too cool! Good points you brought up, I thought also it was just for the *bling bling* factor, but never considered the things you brought up.

Would you happen to know where I could pick up a nice tabletop LCD screen, and should I get a widescreen LCD since my tv is a widescreen or does it not matter? Come to think of it, I think the menu on my reciever is in a 4:3 format so I guess a regular one would be better?

I keep getting distracted by these add ons, I need to get some power surge protection/conditioners and rack and stands and...uuhhhh so much so little money. :D I wonder what size I should be looking at, my eyes couldn't handle anything too small.

--Ed

Sorry bout the rambling, coffee kicked in.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I actually got mine on ebay new. I think it was $70+. It's nothing fancy but definitely has the WOW & Bling Bling factor for very little money. The picture isn't the best, but it's good enough for OSD and checking on what's on TV before turning on the RPTV. I love it! Sometimes I just wish I had a little bigger screen, may be 6" or 7". But, the price differences was over 2X+. It's a perfect match for my Onkyo 989 ver2. Yeah, it's tough with the upgrade stuff, especially when deciding what to get next!

Arnold

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Arnold
Cool, one reason I posted was for that reason exactly. I also have a front door camera with caller id which is great but annoying to stop the movie and check whos there.
Thanks
Grant

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Grant,

I'm planning on using the LCD screen for a video security system I plan on installing in the near future. That's one reason why I thought I should've gone to a slightly larger screen. To me, having the screen on the pre-amp just isn't as useful as having one right next to my listen area.

Arnold

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Thats some cool stuff guys. What did you use to transport the signal, just a long composite cable from the video out on the reciever? I was trying to imagine it, and thought that would be the way to go. Right?

--Ed

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
You know those annoying ads for x-10 cameras, I bought 2 of those, cheap and they work ok. They send to a wireless reciever (50ft great...100ft iffy)Both cameras go to the reciever. I think it'll take 4 at the most
That gives me a RCA line level out which I run into a caller ID box. That gives me the camer out with a caller id stamp over the view. I Modulated it over channel 22 (no stations around to interfere with). It also has a channel 3/4 output but so does everthing else in the world!
I combine that with my Directv reciever output and then I distributed it to every TV. We tend to get a lot of people asking for money or camping on our doorstep. It's great to see whose out there before you go to the door.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Grant for the info regarding the X-10 stuff. I knew those annoying pop-ups would come in handy some time.

Arnold

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kato87
Recent bookmarks