Preamps or receivers with analog bass management?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter Loan, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I'm aware that the Outlaw 950 has analog bass management on it's 6 channel inputs. For multichannel audio, this feature is indispensible. Do any other preamps or receivers under $2k have this feature?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The new Harmon Kardon receivers have it, except that I believe that they digitize the 5.1 input to do it.

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Peter- Are you sure about the Outlaw? If your referring to bass mgt for SACD DVD-A, this feature must be present on the player itself. The Outlaw ICBM was designed for this purpose and if there are other machines available, receivers or otherwise, I'm not aware of. I'm sure this stuff is coming, but don't think it's here yet. Could be wrong though. Good luck, Jack

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

JackS,
    The Outlaw 950 has a switch on the back that engages an 80Hz analog crossover on it's 6 channel inputs. It's basically a stipped down version of their ICBM in that it's fixed at 80Hz, rather than being variable.

I'm just surprised that the other manufacturers haven't caught on to this yet.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Current Denons have analog highpass on 2 channel analog signals (NOT on the 7.1 inputs though but through the regular 2 channel analog inputs.) The lowpass side is digitized except for the units that have Pure Direct (they are also lowpassed in analog.)

No current Denon offers analog bass management on the multichannel inputs. The 5803 has digital bass management, the other models have no BM at all...

6. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

The older Yamaha DSP-A1 also applies bass mgmt on it's 6 channel outputs albeit fixed at 90 hz. I don't believe the newer Yamaha models do this though.