Preamp Recommendations... I need YOUR help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Taylor Selden, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Taylor Selden

Taylor Selden Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I'd like your help in recommending a good high quality preamp that features balanced (XLR) outputs. I'm pretty much set on getting some M&K's S-150P speakers (which have XLR connectors and built-in amplifiers).

Video switching is not important, as I'll probably get a seperate video processor... only interested in the sound.

I'd appreciate your recommendations. I'm looking for something in the $2K-$5K range.

Thanks,

Taylor

2. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Taylor,
    The Anthem AVM-20 is a great preamp which can be had for around $3000 or slightly less. It has balanced outputs for a 7.1 system. I think you would be hardpressed to find a preamp with as full a set of features that sounds as good for anywhere near that price. If you run a seach on this forum you will find a lot of threads about this piece.

Good luck with your search, there is a lot of great gear out there in your price range for you to audition!

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

It's been posted previously that the AVM-20 is not internally balanced. It just has the outputs for convenience. The ones that I know of in that price range that are balanced are the Bryston SP-1.7, Cary Audio Cinema P7, Integra Research RDC-7, Sunfire Theater Grand III, Krell Showcase, Theta Casanova (front channels only).

4. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,
    I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info. I guess you have to up in price to get that feature.

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Add JBL Synthesis SPD-40 to the list (rebadged- Lex MC12B)
    but it will street for $6999.

John