Preamp Heat

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Parnell, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Matt Parnell

Matt Parnell Agent

Interesting thing I noticed today. I have a HK Sig 2.0/2.1 Preamp/Amp combo that I recently purchased. My question concerns heat.

Funny thing is - it's not about the amp, but rather the preamp. For my current situation, there's really only room to stack the two. Figuring the amp would throw off the most heat, I placed it on the top. However, I've recently noticed the preamp has been getting very warm. There is about an inch of clearance between its vents and the vents on the bottom of the amplifier. Appearance would suggest any airflow from the top of the preamp would go right through the amp, but this may or may not be the case.

Another interesting point is that my amp has been running cold lately. I haven't been cranking the music up much, so maybe that's why. It does get hot after loud sessions though.

Should I swap the locations of the two (they're always pictured like this for some reason)? Is it causing my preamp any issues to get warm? It's not too hot to touch, but I'd definitely describe the casing as "hot". Should I place them side by side? In about a month and a half I'll be moving back to the dorms, at which point I'll place them in a shelving system where they can be separated...

2. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Preamps/Processors do typically run hot. In my experience, my pre/pro runs hotter than both my external amps. I would try and keep them seperate. Stacking them is not ideal, but if I had to, I would place the preamp on top. Given the amp isn't working too hard, that should be ok.

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

4. Matt Parnell

Matt Parnell Agent

Well it's been sitting this way for a couple weeks now. I only use the thing for a few hours a day usually. I'll be rearranging as suggested after work today.

I would think with the ventilation slots on the bottom of the amp (sitting on top of the preamp) things would be okay. I haven't caused any damage have I? I would assume these things are designed to deal with their heat.