What's new

Preamp/ Amp for Kef Reference speakers (1 Viewer)

K

katers44

I have a theater room with two Kef Reference 205s in the front, two 201s in the rear and a 202 center channel. I am having a hard time determining what receiver or separates to buy that will showcase the speakers well but not be too expensive. I currently own the Denon 4310CI, but it is grossly underpowering the speakers and is muddy sounding. I have demoed Rotel, McIntosh, Classe, and Anthem and love the sound, but they are just so spendy...Can you recommend a good receiver or separates that will be in the $4k to $5k range that will do the speakers justice? Thanks.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
For $799 you can get an Emotiva XPA-2 (external amp) giving you 300 wpc (8 ohms) or 500 wpc (4 ohms) that you can hook-up to the Left and Right pre-outs. Nothing wrong with the processing in the 4310CI.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've had the reference 3s and then the reference 2s combined with a 200C center channel and their THX reference surrounds (can't remember the model #). This was 10+ years ago before I had heard of Emotiva. Back then I had Pioneer Elite M-91 AMPs.

Joe Gambino

Auditioning
I have the Reference 203s and the 202c for my front 3 with Q15s for rears and my Lexicon CX5 amp provides plenty of power for them in a 28x11 room. I have the Onkyo 885 for my pre/pro and I''m extremely happy with the sound. Check Audiogon for used and demo multichannel amps nd try the Denon as a pre/pro.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks