What's new

Preacher: Season One (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The first few teasers for this didn't do it for me but I saw a recent one that piqued my interest slightly (had a bit of a Guy Ritchie feel to it). I'm not familiar with the comic at all. I'll probably wait and see on this one.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that while I was skeptical, I liked the first episode. The characters were very much their comic book counterparts. The show leaned more into the dark humor than I had expected and it works. In terms of adapting the material, they're doing a good job but much like The Walking Dead TV show, it isn't a direct adaptation of the comic book. While I want to see an adaptation like Sin City or Watchmen where they take panels and put them on screen, the realities of TV production mean that the characters can't be on the road so changes needed to be made but I think what they're doing is working.

So far, so good.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read the comics so I'm not sure if the premiere was a little to insider knowledge for me. I liked the feel of it but I wasn't sure what I was watching.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read the comics so I'm not sure if the premiere was a little to insider knowledge for me. I liked the feel of it but I wasn't sure what I was watching.
I could be wrong but I think they want the audience to be a little behind. Like they wanted the viewer to sit there saying "That preacher breaks people's arms?" or "Wait a minute? The Irish guy is a vampire?!" so they feel like they're on a crazy ride.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think I'm going to need them to add Talking Preacher to weekly not just a few times a season for me to really 'get' this. I missed that the english dude is a vampire, was that in the episode or just already known from the comics?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I missed that the english dude is a vampire, was that in the episode or just already known from the comics?
It hasn't been overtly stated but he was drinking blood from the broken bottle that he jammed in one of the guys on the airplane. And it was off camera but after he fell to the ground, his mangled body was fixed by drinking the cow.

EDIT: Once people get a handle on who the characters are, I don't think there will be a problem in keeping up with the show. Keep in mind that Jesse and Tulip don't even know that Cassidy is a vampire yet either so there will be an explanation for them and the viewer at some point soon.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the things Travis stated, there is a scene where Cassidy holds his left hand in direct sunlight and it begins to smoke and catches fire. So yeah, vampire. :)

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For a pilot with so many sick fight scenes, I found the pacing a bit slack.

But Ruth Negga was one of the few bright spots of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", and she was even better here as Tulip O'Hare. The entire Kansas flashback was a thing of beauty.

Cassidy reminded me of Spike from "Buffy" and "Angel", except Irish instead of cockney. Not evil, per se, just largely indifferent to the suffering of others.

It's amazing how different Lucy Griffiths looks in this compared to the "Constantine" pilot.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think I'm going to need them to add Talking Preacher to weekly not just a few times a season for me to really 'get' this. I missed that the english dude is a vampire, was that in the episode or just already known from the comics?
I didn't get "vampire" either until I did some research and reading after the episode. I just thought he was some demon or ghoul.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The first few teasers for this didn't do it for me but I saw a recent one that piqued my interest slightly (had a bit of a Guy Ritchie feel to it). I'm not familiar with the comic at all. I'll probably wait and see on this one.

I'm with you on this show. Have only seen episode one, #2 comes on in about 40 minutes. It was strange, but I'm going to give it a try. Never read the comic, so all new to me, we'll see how it works out.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So who's still watching? I am and it's still holding my interest somewhat but the last episodes feel like they're spinning their wheels a little bit. I am also watching Outcast. These two shows have a similar look and feel. And they also deal with the supernatural. I find myself forgetting which show I'm watching sometimes.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am watching. I went in completely blind. I never even heard of this property. So I am still sort of trying to figure out the players and the rules of this universe.

Do we know who the old cowboy in the flashbacks is yet, or is that still to be discovered?

I like the different feel of this show. So far it has kept me interested. Assface creeps me out. I think his speech defect caused by the mouth is more cringing than the mouth its self. He is just so freaky.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So who's still watching?
I am but I know if I hadn't read the comic book, I would be enjoying the show more because this a very, very loose adaptation of the comics. It's like they've taken the characters and are just dong their own thing with them and in my highly biased mind, they should just be following the comic book to the letter. At the same time, I don't mind many of the changes (seeing Jesse actually be a preacher, they've made Arseface a human being rather than a goof), I love the angels (who aren't in much of the comic book) and the stuff with the Cowboy is great but I hate Tulip with a passion. They've taken a cool, tough, likable character and made her totally unlikable and abrasive. Making her a total asshole doesn't make her a strong female character, it's just makes her an asshole. The worst part is that she was already a strong character so the changes have only made her horrible.

Do we know who the old cowboy in the flashbacks is yet, or is that still to be discovered?
Yeah, it's still to be discovered.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So who's still watching? I am and it's still holding my interest somewhat but the last episodes feel like they're spinning their wheels a little bit.

I'm still watching and feel much the same. I didn't think much of anything happened in "Monster Swamp" (haven't yet watched the most recent ep). I find myself fast-forwarding my DVR fairly frequently (mostly the Tulip scenes, as noted above, she's completely unlikable and I don't really care about anything involving her).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just an insane fight sequence at the Sundowner Motel. And then Cassidy has to stumble along and mess it all up. Quite the aftermath, cleaning up the mess.

Are we going to see what happened to Eugene?

- Walter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find it funny that they put up subtitles for Eugene, but not Cassidy. I have no problem understanding Eugene, but often have no clue what Cassidy is saying unless I turn on captions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks