What's new

Preacher: Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I've been really enjoyed Season 2 of AMC's Preacher.

I liked season 1, but this season has been much more enjoyable so far. Some really cool stuff in these past few episodes.

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already started.

Anyway, here's the trailer for season 2

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying the show more this season but I have the problem of being too attached to the comic books so any change (even the necessary ones) bothers me. I've been recommending the show to friends that like hilariously over the top crazy violence because I know if it wasn't for my love of the comics, I'd be really into this show.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm enjoying the show more this season but I have the problem of being too attached to the comic books so any change (even the necessary ones) bothers me. I've been recommending the show to friends that like hilariously over the top crazy violence because I know if it wasn't for my love of the comics, I'd be really into this show.

I never read the comics. My understanding that the first season was very different from the comics. Basically a prequel to the comics storyline. Is that the case? And has this season moved closer to what the comics are with the three of them on the road looking for God and being hunted by the Saint of All Killers, or is it still very different?

Doesn't matter to me as I'm enjoying it without the comics baggage, but I am curious.

As for over the top violence, yeah they've done something great stuff. I loved this scene in the most recent episode (as well as the use of music in general this season).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never read the comics. My understanding that the first season was very different from the comics. Basically a prequel to the comics storyline. Is that the case? And has this season moved closer to what the comics are with the three of them on the road looking for God and being hunted by the Saint of All Killers, or is it still very different?
Yeah, the first season is basically a prequel. The comic book started with Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy in the diner (as seen at the end of S1 of the TV show) and over time, it would fill in their history. A good chunk of the S2 premiere is also adapted from the beginning of the comic. I have to admit that it was probably a good idea to let the audience get to know the characters for a while because I imagine if the show had started with the diner scene & then the Saint Of Killers vs. the cops, a lot of viewers would have been wondering what the heck was happening.

Currently, the show is like most adaptations- it's close enough to the source but there's some changes.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, the first season is basically a prequel. The comic book started with Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy in the diner (as seen at the end of S1 of the TV show) and over time, it would fill in their history. A good chunk of the S2 premiere is also adapted from the beginning of the comic. I have to admit that it was probably a good idea to let the audience get to know the characters for a while because I imagine if the show had started with the diner scene & then the Saint Of Killers vs. the cops, a lot of viewers would have been wondering what the heck was happening.

Currently, the show is like most adaptations- it's close enough to the source but there's some changes.

Travis, as someone familiar with the comics, what do you of make of Herr Starr's "rape"? I wasn't sure if that was his actual intent or if it really was a misunderstanding and he just went with it because nothing really phases him.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Travis, as someone familiar with the comics, what do you of make of Herr Starr's "rape"? I wasn't sure if that was his actual intent or if it really was a misunderstanding and he just went with it because nothing really phases him.
In the comic book, it's a mistake. Herr Starr wants a prostitute who will do "sordid" things and Featherstone thinks he's getting him a female prostitute but he accidentally hires a maniac who rapes Herr Starr in an alley. I took the scene in the TV show as Starr wanted a woman but once it all started going down, he just suffered through it with his "I'm surrounded by idiots" anger/attitude. That take is informed by the accident in the comic book though.

This is one of the craziest posts I've ever had here.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
In the comic book, it's a mistake. Herr Starr wants a prostitute who will do "sordid" things and Featherstone thinks he's getting him a female prostitute but he accidentally hires a maniac who rapes Herr Starr in an alley. I took the scene in the TV show as Starr wanted a woman but once it all started going down, he just suffered through it with his "I'm surrounded by idiots" anger/attitude. That take is informed by the accident in the comic book though.

This is one of the craziest posts I've ever had here.

Thanks. Yeah, I was leaning towards it genuinely being a mistake and laughed at the irony of the whole thing. But there was just enough to make me wonder if he was actually into that and him saying that it was a mistake was part of his "fantasy". I think I wondered because he really didn't seem that phased by it at all. But then he really doesn't seem to be the type to have hang-ups or to let anything get to him. Pretty messed up (yet entertaining as hell) scene.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
There's been some really good bits of that throughout the whole series, going back to the pilot episode with the Tom Cruise explosion... which has been referenced at least once since.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My friends have been constantly nagging me to watch this show for a long time now. And I have finally decided to go for it. But what I understand is that the series is not actually following the comics. So. I am not sure to either start with the comics first or the series. Or should I follow them side-by-side?
Personally, when there's a movie or TV show based on a book/comic/etc., I usually end up watching the movie/TV show and then read the book so I'd probably wait. That being said, there's not really a bad time to read the comic book.

This season was kinda following the comics early on but then it pretty quickly diverted to its own thing (Cassidy's son, Tulip's PTSD, Featherstone's undercover operation). Although Jesse's storyline in last night's episode was pretty close to the comics.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Dumped this show. When they started bashing Christianity, time to turn the channel.

Last edited:

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Dumped this show. When they started bashing Christianity, time to turn the channel.
The original comic took its time to carefully "bash" the concept of religion for all religions. What it was very careful to keep in place was the concept of faith, whether that's in someone, something, or the ephemeral concept of a deity.

To this point, the show has done much the same.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The original comic took its time to carefully "bash" the concept of religion for all religions. What it was very careful to keep in place was the concept of faith, whether that's in someone, something, or the ephemeral concept of a deity.

To this point, the show has done much the same.
Yeah, I think that compared to the comic book, the show has gone pretty easy on religion.

That being said, everyone is entitled to not watch something if it offends them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks