What's new

pre-wiring a new house (1 Viewer)

rojo amigo

Auditioning
Real Name
David Perron
the fun part is that I get to determine where I want all the wiring to go while the house is at the framing stage. The not fun part is that I live 2500 miles from the new house and must give the details to the builder.

The house is a walk-out rancher. All the A/V equipment will be stored in a room off the home theater room on the lower level. The home theater room will be wired now but hardware at a later date.

My question is what type of wiring to use for the TVs.

floor location distance from A/V room (horizontal + vertical)

lower exercise 30 feet

lower bedroom3 70 feet

main bedroom2 50 feet

main bedroom1 80 feet

main greatroom 80 feet (main TV in phase1) (maybe a google TV)

HDMI, RG6, cat5/cat6 with HDMI balun?

note: in phase 2 , home theater room will be main video area with a 3D projector.

I will also be running cat5/6 to each room for wired internet connection and to some rooms for connection to SONOS boxes.

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
To be safe, I would run 6x cat5/6 to each TV location, plus 2 coax. 6 cat5/6 sounds like too much, but they can be used for anything! = 2x for HDMI balun, 2x for another HDMI balun source (or use 1 for TV network and 1 for phone), 1 for IR, 1 for TV AUDIO out back to your sources and you're all filled up. 1 coax for off air HD infrastructure, 1 coax for DTV infrastructure.... What else?

rojo amigo

Auditioning
Real Name
David Perron
thanx for the reply. I never thought of cat5e/cat6 for IR. I knew that I would need some IR repeater/extenders as the setup boxes will be on the lower level and atleast 2 TVs on the main level. Why the 2nd coax? DTV infrastructure?

Interesting dicsussion between the A/V guy and the electrician about conduit. The A/V guy was talking about PVC but the electrician said "no, against building code, potential fire hazard".

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
You're welcome, I hope it helps.

1st coax for off air HD (connected to antenna) and 2nd coax (connected to satellite dish) if you wanted to have a Dish set top box at your TV source.

I have never used pipe, not required for low voltage (that I know of!) PVC can be helpful for future runs, but with all the cables we're talking about, you should have every option you could ever desire.

Are you going to wire for any distributed audio?

rojo amigo

Auditioning
Real Name
David Perron
distributed audio.

I am going with the SONOS systems. I will have a sonos zp90 connected to a sony multi-zone ES receiver for the lower level. I will have 2 sonos zp120s on the main level connected to ceiling speakers for the great room/kitchen and the main bedroom. Apple itouch and ipad for controllers.

One of the nice things about the sonos is access to radiotime.com Visitors from around the world will have access to their home local radio stations.

Stereo ceiling speakers in each bedroom and 4 speakers ( L R )

( R L ) in the main level great room and lower level family room.

sound bars for each TV.

14AWG wire for ceiling speakers. 12AWG for the future media room

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Good choice on the Sonos. It is the single greatest piece of electronics I own. A breeze to set up and a pleasure to operate.

AVES

Grip
Real Name
Frank
Good assistnce you provided Curt. I can assist you and other HTF members in helping them purchase HT gear. As an authorized retailer of many of the most popular brands in the industry. www.htesolutions.com Welcome the opportunity in assisting you all.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by conuronton

To be safe, I would run 6x cat5/6 to each TV location, plus 2 coax. 6 cat5/6 sounds like too much, but they can be used for anything! = 2x for HDMI balun, 2x for another HDMI balun source (or use 1 for TV network and 1 for phone), 1 for IR, 1 for TV AUDIO out back to your sources and you're all filled up. 1 coax for off air HD infrastructure, 1 coax for DTV infrastructure.... What else?

It sounds like too much, but its not. There are a few locations where I ran 6 where I wish I ran more. A small switch would do me OK, but I like fewer failure points. I ended up using 1 for IR, 1 for audio, and several for IP since just about everything has a network connection. Thankfully I ran an HDMI cable so I didn't need two for that. Anyway, great advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks