What's new

Pre-wired home has boxes holding the wires (1 Viewer)

Russ Rimmerman

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
I'm getting ready to cut into drywall to install my Polk 6.5" rectangular in-wall speakers in my new media room. The builder pre-wired and has the wire all folded up inside a blue box in the wall with a wall plate over it. The blue box is up against a stud.

Question: I know I need to leave at least 1" from the stud for the speaker to be able to mount properly. Is it most common to cut the blue box out of the wall and use that as your mounting hole (although since it's up against a stud I'm concerned about that) or is it recommended to leave the blue box in the wall, run the wire back out the back-side of it, and mount the speaker right next to it, so i'll have a speaker right next to a wall plate? I'd prefer not to have the wall plates there, but not sure how to deal with the fact that the box is up against a stud and trying to cover that 1" space up...

TIA

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Isn't that normal? Wire runs terminates in a box, nailed onto a stud, covered with a blank plate. In my house, I tossed the cover plate and replaced with it with stereo RCA wall plate. But my speakers on stands, not wall hung.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3324

Are your speakers going to be mounted flat on the wall, or on wall mounts? Sounds like the former. But if the later, you can replace the plates with connector plates, mount the speakers as needed, and run short patch cord from speaker to wall plates.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends what he meant by "an inch".

No. It is NOT normal to put the wall plate that close to a stud. You normally go half way between studs. There are ENTIRE THREADS devoted to moving studs away from where you are in-wall mounting speakers.

In your case, Dave, you didn't in-wall your speakers. So, in your case, you do go close to the stub. In-wall should be 3", at least, from a stud.

Not the same thing. Now if this builder expected speakers to have been mounted TO the wall, not IN the wall...

Russ Rimmerman

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Hmmm, well I mounted the two fronts, they're just a half inch from a stud. No good? I'm also assuming I should shove some insulation in behind them as well? I also noticed they put a plate for one of the side speakers on the ceiling and the other on the wall (but I don't think they had a choice due to the layout of the room. Is that also going to cause me sound issues?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If they fit, fine(I didn't look up the depth requirement...as you didn't give the exact model).

I always spec in-wall to be halfway between studs. Putting irregularly* spaced studs in...if need be.

*spacing as little as 12 to as much as 24, making sure a stud is not...where a speaker should be.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Depends what he meant by "an inch".

No. It is NOT normal to put the wall plate that close to a stud. You normally go half way between studs. There are ENTIRE THREADS devoted to moving studs away from where you are in-wall mounting speakers.

In your case, Dave, you didn't in-wall your speakers. So, in your case, you do go close to the stub. In-wall should be 3", at least, from a stud.

Not the same thing. Now if this builder expected speakers to have been mounted TO the wall, not IN the wall...
Good to know. I'm talking with a friend about possible speakers for his pre-wiring. I didn't know in-walls are typically centered between studs (vs right next to them).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Good to know. I'm talking with a friend about possible speakers for his pre-wiring. I didn't know in-walls are typically centered between studs (vs right next to them).
It gives you more leeway in what you can buy. And, gives you flexibility to shift the speakers. Also...sometimes you find a box(like a Dynil Enwall) is necessary for sound containment.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Russ Rimmerman said:
Are the Dynil Enwall's really worth $95 each?
Yes and no.

You can cobble the same thing yourself for half the cost.

Dynil (the brand) is over priced. Just like Scotch brand tape is.

But...it is a known thing, you never have to explain it. As a designer. I can "just spec Dynil" or do it for less money with like kind product...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks