Pre-wire new house

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
I wanted to get the basics of the wiring I need to install on a new house before drywall.

I’m kinds new to HT in general, so ……

Still researching equip, but believe I’ll be doing the following;

Projector onto a painted wall so no wiring on the screen end

Planned on a 7.1 receiver (perhaps a Onkyo 616) but using it at first as a 5.1 speaker setup, I was told I can use those two channels to wire two pairs of speakers to each of two other zones.

What I’m not sure about the receiver I buying but the ones I’m looking at have two extra zones anyway, is this right way to go?

I can pre-wire for the other two speakers anyway in the main room and add two speakers later to make the room 7.1.

Then use the two zones for the patio and kitchen, where are those speakers getting power from, the zones on the receiver?
----
Wiring the speakers is easy, but how do I control the sound level or off/on in those areas, I assume a volume switch but how is that wired, I think it goes to the receiver? If so what type of wire cat6?

I guess all those can use a 1" conduit in the attic to the receiver

I want to make a conduit between the projector and the receiver for the HDMI cable, is there only one of those? Any other wires to the projector?

Since I haven’t done this what else can I build into this besides blu ray, not into gaming, music, tv by cable & movies.

Any other wire considerations or anything else you folks can think of.

tks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is a whole bag of worms.
Do you want the AVR to have control over the zones. Or, do you want the AVR simply to feed signal to the other zones?
Each channel of an AVR can only do "one thing"...
So, you do ALWAYS want 5.1 with Zone 2?
Or will you "eventually" want 7.1(either 5/2.1 or 7.1) with the other zones simply fed signal?

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/324490/pre-wire-new-house#post_3989215
Do you want the AVR to have control over the zones. Or, do you want the AVR simply to feed signal to the other zones?
Or will you "eventually" want 7.1(either 5/2.1 or 7.1) with the other zones simply fed signal?
I think it makes sense to have the AVR feed to the zones, then have some way to control on/off & volume at those zones/rooms.

The room is 10 x 14, if 5.1 sounds good, may leave it for now to save a bit on the speakers now, but will likely add them later.

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/324490/pre-wire-new-house#post_3989215
I think it makes sense to have the AVR feed to the zones, then have some way to control on/off & volume at those zones/rooms.

The room is 10 x 14, if 5.1 sounds good, may leave it for now to save a bit on the speakers now, but will likely add them later.

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Basically multi-zone is best left to those who install this stuff.
If you think buying a AVR "makes your head spin"...
Wait until you see/use all the options out there for multi-zone...
Here are the questions you need to answer to yourself...so you can feed the answers to an installer, so he knows what to offer. Cause if you "do this wrong"...you are living with a multi-zone solution you are stuck with. (there is no "wrong way". There is just ways to make it work the way you want...but a year out finding out there is some "functionality" you could have had, can leave a bad taste)
1. Do you want "tactile" controls in each room?
2. Are you OK with "network control" where everything (basically volume and source) is controlled via an Ipad/Ipod/Phone?
3. Are you going to have a NAS?
4. Do you want a "central control" override so "other people" can't hijack what is going on? (like if you have teenage kids that want to crank Jessie J...but you want volume limitations)
5. Is each room going to have "just speakers"...or do you wish more of a "stereo that feeds off the main AVR"?
There are MANY other questions, but those 5 will get you a good start with an installer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also, there is a huge common misconception about "multi-zone"...
Many people, going in, think that it is less expensive to buy an AVR, then feed it to other rooms. Nope...often, that is more expensive than setting up a "stereo system" in each room.
And in MANY cases...
Setting up an AVR into a multi-zone set-up is best skipped for Bluetooth devices.
Networking and bluetooth are often easier to use/figure out than a multi-source/switching set-up. But, Bluetooth/Network isn't anywhere near as "flexible"...even though it can accomplish the same thing.
It depends on your sources. If "everything you want to listen to" throughout the entire house lives in the digital realm(Itunes/Spotify/MOG etc)...set up a computer(which you obviously already have) with a "whole home server Itunes". Then "everything" that has an internet connection shares the same Itunes...which means you don't "need" a multi-zone AVR.
Simply connect your Ipod to a radio with an input.

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
schan1269 said:
/t/324490/pre-wire-new-house#post_3989591
Basically multi-zone is best left to those who install this stuff.
If you think buying a AVR "makes your head spin"...
Wait until you see/use all the options out there for multi-zone...
Here are the questions you need to answer to yourself...so you can feed the answers to an installer, so he knows what to offer. Cause if you "do this wrong"...you are living with a multi-zone solution you are stuck with. (there is no "wrong way". There is just ways to make it work the way you want...but a year out finding out there is some "functionality" you could have had, can leave a bad taste)
1. Do you want "tactile" controls in each room?
2. Are you OK with "network control" where everything (basically volume and source) is controlled via an Ipad/Ipod/Phone?
3. Are you going to have a NAS?
4. Do you want a "central control" override so "other people" can't hijack what is going on? (like if you have teenage kids that want to crank Jessie J...but you want volume limitations)
5. Is each room going to have "just speakers"...or do you wish more of a "stereo that feeds off the main AVR"?
There are MANY other questions, but those 5 will get you a good start with an installer.
again, you're getting my learning curve up to speed with all this great info,

thanks

lipets

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/324490/pre-wire-new-house#post_3989596
Also, there is a huge common misconception about "multi-zone"...
Many people, going in, think that it is less expensive to buy an AVR, then feed it to other rooms. Nope...often, that is more expensive than setting up a "stereo system" in each room.
Funny I was thinking the same thing, the math is interesting.

Thanks for all your input.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39