Pre-screening fake mp3 files?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Hirsch, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I've downloaded more than a couple mp3 files now that were marked as 128 kbps, and took the requisite time to download. When I try to play them, though, I get no readout, no music, and silence, and the file stops within the first second. Or - the latest fiasco - all the files with different track names were the actually the same song that I already had encoded.

Anyone shed any light on what THAT's about?

Most importantly, how do I screen for those files so I don't waste time downloading blank space?

2. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Regarding the bogus files you found, it's very possible they came from the record industry itself...here's a timely article about this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/28919.html

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Allen:

KaZaa (the most popular filesharing service) has created a ratings system to address these concerns. People can rate a file based on its quality. This SHOULD help eliminate the problem, but if people label files incorrectly (i.e. mark those files with silence as Excellent), it doesn't help.

Fortunately, I haven't found that to be the case in most instances.

As an alternative, you can try newsgroups or IRC. I'm sure they're often more reliable than KaZaa. [​IMG]

:: AHEM :: I'm SURE you're asking about files you can aquire legally, right? [​IMG]

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Start downloading multiple versions of a song, you can preview audio files in Kazaa. Stop the downloads of incorrect or spoofed files.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

Another alterative would be to use RipCast to create mp3 files as you listen to internet radio. This does not allow you to choose which songs that you want to download, but it will build up your mp3 library very quickly. If the songs that you are looking for are fairly popular, you should have no problem finding your songs. And who knows, you may find some songs that you did not know you were looking for. And best of all, you are not going to download a virus. RipCast has a trial version that stops recording after 30Mb. But after I tried it, I bought the full version for under $10. It was well worth it.