Pre/pros with individually selectable crossovers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin C Brown, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'm trying to keep my mental list up to date. [​IMG]

So far, I only know of:

Sony TA-E9000ES
    Outlaw 950
    All Lexicons
    Rotel 1098
    Anthem AVM-20

Any others?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Kevin,

Although technically the AVM-20 has individual crossovers for each speaker group including the subwoofer, the AVM-20 does not reroute bass to other speakers or the subwoofer output(s) like the Lexicon processors do.

I think your list gives the mistaken impression to some that the AVM-20's bass management will route the bass from "small" speakers to either the subwoofer output or to "large" speakers. It does not.

It is my opinion that the AVM-20 does not belong on your list for the very reason that it could mislead someone into believing it has a capability it truly does not.

Michael

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

What is the use of the AVM-20's bass management then?

For the original topic: Or use a receiver like the Sony STR-DA2ES or Denon 3803 as a prepro.

4. Michael Mohrmann

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Michael- Ahhh, see, that's why I did the list. I did misunderstand the AVM's BM then. Thanks.

Craig- The Sony, yes, but I thought the 3803 did a global crossover with one single selectable freq?

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

This feature only useful if the LFE channel is always unchanged by the selectable lowpass filters from other channels[bass redirection].It seems this isn't a case for many units,that have selectable crossovers for individual channels.

7. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

The firmware 2.1 for the AVM-20 introduced this feature.

8. Michael Mohrmann

Ron,

9. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I believe the Proceed AVP2 has (had?) individually selectable crossovers. It is supposed to be rebadged and sold as Levinson later on in the year.

10. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

You forgot Theta

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The MC-8 and MC-12 are actually kind of interesting. An example is the best way to show (how I have my system set up):

Center: 80 Hz
    Mains: 60 Hz
    Surrounds & Rears: 100 Hz

Because the fronts have the lowest crossover, it 1st reroutes bass from the surrounds & rears from 60 - 100 hz to the fronts, then addes the info below 60 Hz to the LFE channel to go to the sub.

Similarly, for the center, it reroutes the info from 60 - 80 Hz to the fronts, and then adds the 60 Hz and below info to the LFE channel to the sub.

So it basically includes all the info it can into whatever the lowest crossed over speaker(s) there are, and then reroutes the remainder to be added to the LFE channel.

I do know that the E9000ES did it the way we all think: individual low and high pass filters for each channel, and all the low passed info added to the LFE, then sent to the sub. Sony even had an "LFE mix" adjustment whereby you could alter the level of the LFE itself. And they also had a specific setting for the low pass freq for the LFE too. That pre/pro was way ahead of its time.

Theta & Proceed too. Cool.

Anyone know about the Aragons?