Pre/Proc prices????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimmyK, Feb 20, 2003.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    I'm just starting to do some homework on quality pre/proc's and have seen many brands listed here that seem to have the flexability and quality I am looking for. However, and I'll use the Athem AVM20 as an example, I am finding it difficult to find prices on such products. What is it with manufactures not listing prices on their web sites? Am I looking in the range of "if you have to ask......."?

I am in the very early stages of looking right now, so my budget hasn't been set. Besides, when looking, I often look to see what the better/best has to offer, then shoot for something that has the most in common with them within my budget. While something in the $2k to $3k range isn't completely out of the question, I would also like to know what's available below that and maybe just above that. It's frustrating when I try to look up some of the quality brands I'm reading about here only to find I have no clue if I'm looking at a $1k product or a $10k product!

Enough ranting for now.

So I'll start with this question:

What is the suggested price for the Anthem AVM20 (newest version please)? What would be considered it's competitors?

Thanks! (I feel better now)

JimmyK

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jimmy,

Suggested retail price for the Anthem AVM-20 (new, model with chip upgrade) is approximately $3500. I believe the earlier version retailed for $3199 and the chip upgrade was in the neighborhood of $300, so $3500 sounds about right.

In competition with the AVM-20 in it's direct price range are the Integra research RDC-7 (not sure of the moniker) at $4500, the Proceed AVP $4500, the Sunfire Theater Grand $3500 and the Myryad MDP 500 $2600.

Above the Anthem's price point there are the Lexicon MC-12 (from 8-10K), Krell Home Theater Standard ($8000) and Meridian 568 ($7000). Theta Digital also has a configurable pre-pro that goes for anywhere from $6,000-17,000 depending on how you configure it.

Below the Anthem is the Outlaw 950 ($899), the Atlantic Technology 2000 (a rebadged 950) for $1500 and the Rotel 1066 ($1500).

Hope that helps. Basically prices can be found by calling local dealers or stopping by a Barnes and Noble and flipping through some magazines or buyers guides.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm getting interested in pre/pros, and I'm wondering where the B&K Ref 50, and Ref 30 (used) would fit in there price wise?? And, how about the Lexicon MC-1 (used) and MC-8??

Thanks,
    Nick

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Check Audiogon for used Ref 30 prices along with the used Lexicons. They would be the best barometer. www.audiogon.com. As for the Ref 50, totally forgot about that one. It probably is a little cheaper than an AVM-20. I think I read somewhere that it retails for about $3000 or so. Maybe less.

5. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Just for the record, the Anthem AVM-20 v2.0 is $3400 retail.

The B&K Reference 50 is around $3000 retail and the soon-to-be-released Lexicon MC-8 will be about $6000 retail ($7000 for the balanced version, MC-8B). Both of these can be purchased for less than retail, with the right connections or haggling skills.

Parasound has two processors coming out, the Halo C1 ($6000) and the Halo C2 ($4000). Rotel has a new processor coming called the RSP-1098 that will retail for $3000. There is also the Aragon Stage One at $4000.

Oops, forgot the Bryston SP1.7 at $4300.

Michael

6. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

The following is a shameless plug:

I have an Aragon Stage One brand new sealed in the double box from the factory. I can verify that its retail price is $4000.... (Now for the Plug) but I am selling it for only $2899 OBO. WOW!!!

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    That is a big help! Thanks!

JimmyK

8. Kurt Kelson

Kurt Kelson Extra

One more to add to your list would be the just-released Fosgate FAP-T1. I think it lists for $3000. I've seen it at my local dealer and it looks to be a wonderful piece as well.

FWIW I bought an Anthem AVM-20 and have absolutely loved it. No regrets whatsoever. Picked mine up for ~$3000 from my dealer. Good luck in your search

9. Kurt Kelson

Kurt Kelson Extra

double post