What's new

Pre/Pro with the FEATURES of the flagship receivers? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

If I have my HDTV do the switching, then I've got multiple component video feeds instead of just one, right? Beside, the TV only has 2 inputs, which is what started the whole thing.
Mike: Sorry I wasn't clearer. Here are the reasons why I suggested going direct to the HDTV from each component video source. First, using your pre/pro to do component switching will actually result in one more component video cable set, than if you ran your video direct to the HDTV. Second, since most pre/pros do not upconvert composite nor S-video to component, you will also have to use an S-video cable to connect your pre/pro. Third, almost no pre/pros or receivers will show an OSD on the component outputs. Fourth, if you are sending different sources to your HDTV into one input, you may find that you have some major differences in the images from each source. My DVD(RP-91), HD STBs(Panasonic and Sony)and my HDTV PVR HTPC all require different calibration settings for optimum images. To send all of my component sources into one HDTV component input would mean that I would need to adjust that input settings each time I change sources. By sending my DVD, STB and HDPC into three different HDTV inputs, I can calibrate each input according to each source and always have a perfect image when that input is selected. Fifth, unless you buy a very nice pre/pro or receiver with a high bandwidth component switcher, your signal may be degraded somewhat. Sixth, depending on your room/Rack/HDTV layout, you may save some money by using 3 short component cable sets and a long digital audio cable versus using a short digital audio cable, 3 short component video cable sets and one long component video cable set.

Unfortunately, if your HDTV only supports two component inputs and you have three sources, you will need to switch somewhere anyway.

If you have any questions, get back to me.

Mike Stutzman

Auditioning
Ah, yes, we are talking the same language. I actually agree with all your reasons, but I'm working around them: I'm planning on a Pre/Pro or Receiver that DOES upconvert, DOES do OSD on component, and HAS high-bandwidth switching. There will, as you say, be one more component cable set total, but as the runs are short, so I'm not worried.

The multiple inputs requiring different settings is a good point, but I'm using an HTPC for DVD, so I can adjust at the source as needed to match the STB, and the third source will be a game system where I only care about resolution and not picture settings.

I still don't see why I would need a long digital audio cable . . .

J

John Morris

I still don't see why I would need a long digital audio cable . . .
If your rack is close to your HDTV, you would not need one. I was referring to a setup where the DVD/STB was next to the HDTV, and the HDTV was across the room from the rack, as in my system.

One suggestion is that if you already have a HTPC, you may want to look into installing a HiPix DTV-200 card and doing away with the standalone STB entirely. I have one which I use for timeshifting/recording HDTV and the image from the HiPix is very nice!

Mike Stutzman

Auditioning
Ah, I see, but in my case the STB is not actually "set top" but in the rack. (It's a Dish 6000 btw.)

A HiPix or equiv. is in the wback of my mind, but all my HD is currently off DishNet, no OTA. Once OTA HDTV shows up I might switch over, but the 6000 will remain, so it won't help anyway.

JoshK

Agent
My $.02,

First off I will say that I am first and foremost a music lover, movies are second priority to me. I upgraded my Sony ES reciever with seperates (B&K Ref 20 + ATI 1505) because I was trying to get the music up to par (never met a reciever I liked on music). I am dissapointed I went this route, but we live and learn. I personally think the way to go is to really get the best amp you can, this is the foundation and can last you many many years if you choose wisely. I love my ATI for this reason. When 7 channel came out, you don't have to junk your whole system, simply get another two channel amp. Really there are really no choices in the same price range for pre/pro with the same features as the flagship receivers. However, they do offer some sonic benefits especially the Integra. However a much more viable, flexible, withstanding and cheaper way to go is to get the solid amp and a solid 2 channel pre for music that has a HT bypass and then get the receiver you want such as the mentioned Kenwood. When new formats, etc come out just replace the receiver which is the cheapest way to go.

Also, don't get sucked in by manufacturers saying that they have upgrade plans for all their pre/pro's which make them stay up to date. My B&K Ref20 can get a partial upgrade to the current 30 for $900, which simply is not worth it considering what little they do.

Again, my thoughts having gone down this path before.

Josh

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
The Stage One is beautiful.
If you are considering a Stage One, you should be aware of the upgrade/trade in to be offered to Acurus Act 3 owners. You may be able to find an Act 3 cheap new or used, Onecall.com had them for $799 new, but are out of stock.
Mondial is offering the following two options:
1. trade in your Act 3 for $1500 towards the $4000 Stage one, or
2. upgrade your Act 3 to nearly Stage One performane for $900.
From a post by JimG of Mondial on the Acurus forum at klipsch.com:
"The upgrade will be a substantial one including a new DSP engine that will provide for 7.1 surround and new formats including Pro Logic II, dtsES and a few others. You also will get new 24-bit/192kHz DAC's for all 8 channels as well as 8-ch analog pass-thru. There is an extensive parts list involved including a new back panel to accomodate the changes. Basically, this will upgrade the ACT-3 processing capabilities to nearly those of the Stage One with the exception of the THX parameters and surround modes and some of the operating schemes due to the differences in the remotes and front panel displays for the ACT-3 and the Stage One."
According to another post by Adam (Mondial design engineer):
"You can expect performance near the level of the Stage One. The biggest difference will be in the power supply, and the power supply can certainly have an effect on the quality of the sound. Unfortunately, a power supply of Stage One size won't fit in the ACT-3 architecture."
as an Act 3 owner, I am truly excited about the upgrade!:)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Trust me when I say I have absolutely no doubt the Aragon will cook so hot you won't be able to touch it. It will almost definitely be clearly superior to the already fantastic but feature lacking ACT-3.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
and if you can find a used or new Act 3 for $500-800 and upgrade it for $900, you'll have a true bargain, imo. you'll be in for less than most of us paid for our Act 3 new. i paid $1700 for mine new in July 98 and will have gotten a good four years out of it by the time the upgrade happens. $900 for (potentially) another four years is a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread