What's new

Pre-Pro/Receiver/Sub Calibation?? (1 Viewer)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello...

What is the proper way (for max preformance) to set the output/input levels to a Sub?

Do you set your receiver/pre-pro's sub level at high output (as I do for max output into sub), and the volume level at the sub very low? Or, visa versa??

I've read many different ways to set the sub, but what is the right way for max output? Thanks!!

J

John Morris

Hi Will!
Gosh I hope this is how the "experts" do it... but I usually set my pre/pro volume so that my front L/R is at reference at zero, and then adjust all the others accordingly using the pre/pro trim level settings. I have the SVS Ultra subwoofer with a Crown K2 and I have to keep my sub setting at no more than +3 or certain movies just blow stuff off of my neighbor's walls. Still, when I need to blow off some steam... even +5 doesn't bottom them out... the hell with my windows. :D

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Will, the best way is to set the receiver to the lowest possible setting, and then use the volume control on the subwoofer to bring the signal up to the desired level. Ideally you would have the sub volume wide open but this isn't always possible - it depends on the range of adjustment on your receiver.

Harry.

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
I like to keep the pre/pro/avr level at 0 (zero) the least amount of processing the better. Adjust the subs analog level.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Will, the best way is to set the receiver to the lowest possible setting, and then use the volume control on the subwoofer to bring the signal up to the desired level."

Be careful not to set the receiver/prepro's sub level too low. As I and others have experienced, sometimes the signal coming through the subout connection may not be strong enough to "wake up" your sub from its' auto-standby mode (if it has one).

If you sometimes feel that your sub is not responding quick enough unless the main volume control is set high, then you might want to back off the sub's volume level and increase the sub level coming from the receiver/prepro.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks