What's new

Pre Pro question? (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I feel pretty stuped asking this cause I feel like I should know better by now but, by Pre Pro it would mean useing your reciver as a pre proseser,& a seperate amp would be the pro in the mix? Is this right or am I missing something, I've never been quite sure if this was right or not.:b

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Close...a pre/pro is a preamp that also will do all of your surround sound processing, video switching, etc. Since a pre/pro is not capable of doing amplification, a separate amplifier is needed
A/V receivers with pre outs (the jacks that allow you to connect an external amp) can be used as a pre/pro. That simply means you are bypassing the receiver's internal amps and using an external amplifier. In this scenario, the receiver will do the surround sound processing, switching and so on.
One advantage is that many new receivers now have pre outs for all channels and will decode all the latest surround formats (DTS-ES, THX-EX) which many of the high end pre/pros, like the Anthem AVM20 and others, lack.
There has been some discussion on the forum as to whether or not the preamp portion of a mass market receiver would be comparable to a quality pre/pro. I'm not going to comment on that.
Hope that answers your question. :)
Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks