What's new

Pre/Pro help please... (1 Viewer)

SamC

Agent
I currently have a Yamaha receiver (795a) which doesn't have pre-outs (I don't think...)
I am looking to upgrade to a Pre-Pro system, and like the Rotel 1095. I have also heard some great things about this amp on HTF.
My Questions:
1. Are there other amps in the same league for a similar price, and are they better?
2. Can anyone recommend a good pre-processor to be teamed up with a Rotel 1095?
3. Does this (or any other) pre- do all the switching that my Yamaha handles?
I currently run all sources into the 795a and use the TV as a monitor only and the speakers for all sound. Sources are DVD, CD (digital), VCR, Cable, Playstation2, Tuner.
I will upgrade the Polk speakers later:D

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
SamC,

What is you budget for amps and processor?

The Rotel 1095 is a good amp. You may also want to check out the B&K 7250 and the Anthem MCA 5.

For pre processors, check out the Anthem AVM-20, B&K Ref 30, and the Rotel processor (not sure of the model number).

These processors should do everything the Yamaha will do and probably more. I'm not that familiar with the video switching on these units so I can't tell you for sure.

Derrick G

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Sam:

I spent about $2,000 at a local dealer for the RMB-1075 (120 watts per channel) and the Rotel RSP-976 pre/pro. Rotel is coming out with a new pre/pro in the next couple of months with more bells and whistles (more formats), but if all you interested in is 5.1 DD and DTS, I would highly recommend you check out the 976.

By the way, how much power do you need? The 1095 retails for around $2,000 by itself. I'm very happy with the power output of the 1075.

All figures in U.S. dollars, of course.

Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,

Derrick made some good suggestions for pre/pros, and so I will just point out that your Yamaha RX-V795a does indeed have pre-outs for all five channels, plus the sub-out. I used it as a pre/pro for a time, before upgrading to the RX-V1.

Good luck.

Cliff

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Sam,

I use the 1095 with my Denon 3300. Cliff is right your Yamaha does have the pre outs. For pre/pros I'm planning on checking out the Rotel RSP-1066 and Atlantic Technology P2000 when they are released this month or next month. Here's the 4 amps I demoed several times over several months when I was amp shopping along with the best prices I found for each.

Rotel 1095 (200x5 wpc) $1700

Parasound 2205AT(220x5 wpc) $1600

ATI 2505(250x5wpc) $2000

Sherbourn 5/1500A(200x5 wpc) $1500(Randy G. can get it for you for this price)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Legairre,

Why spend the extra money on an Atlantic Technology P2000 pre-amp when it is the exact same thing as the Model 950 from Outlaw Audio with a different faceplate?

Besides, with the Eastech (sp?) OEM contract worked out with Outlaw Audio (since they designed the pre/pro's guts) the Model 950 will be out before any of the other clones.

Dan

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dan,

I'm really interest in the new Rotel pre/pro more than the AT/Outlaw. Back in December when I got the amp I set a pre/pro budget of $1500. It really is a coincidence that the Rotel is $1500. My dealer says he can sell me a 1066 for $1275 when he gets then in and he even has a 30 day full refund return policy. I figure after discounts that the $1700 AT will also street for about $1300. Both of these units are under my budget and don't have the, IMO silly Fischer Price cowboy logo and green button of the Outlaw 950. For me sound and features are first, but I've spent a lot of time making my HT sound and look good. For me looks do count and I'm willing to pay a little more for good looks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Atlantic Technology will be glad to hear that! ;)
Guess I'm in the boat that a plain appearance can sometimes hide great things inside.
If it is hiding in a rack somewhere, I guess ignorance is bliss!
:D
Dan

Legairre

Supporting Actor
What can I say. You have your priorities and I have mine. At least we're both happy.:)

SamC

Agent
Thanks for the replies guys, some really useful info there.
In terms of budget, I'm not really sure. I'm living in a VERY isolated mining town, & have been for the last 12 months, so I've saved a heap of cash. I don't really want to blow it all on an amp, but maybe a whole new system...:D
Unfortunately they supply housing here, and as I have no kids (nor any desire for them right now) I get only a flat, which slightly smaller than a broom cupboard. There is no option for a house, the company owns all the buildings in the town.
There really is no need, nor room, for a bigger HT system. Hell, my Polk RTs (800s & 600s + CS400i) are too big for the room, and take up too much floorspace, but I will not live here forever, and I've got that upgrade itch again.
The other thing I'm thinking is to replace my TV with a DLP, thus giving a bigger screen, taking up less room, and giving me time to see what happens with new sound formats.
The news that I do have pre-outs means I may just blow it all.... :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks again guys

$375 more for a better looking logo? Be sure to shine a spotlight on it so it will show up in the dark (ideally,however, your components should be outside the HT} Anyway its important to have great looking components when others can not hear quality.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Chicks get new "headlights" for thousands of $$ just to get more looks, why does everyone always have a problem with a few extra hundred that people want to spend to get the better looking version (I guess you whould never buy new wheels on your car just to make it look better, that is only 1 of the many examples I can think of, but to some, looks DO MATTER)-tic (sort of)

Yes to many image is more important than substance and they are free to make that choice. I'd rather spend the saved money on other hardware or more software.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
If I had to choose between a VW bug that equaled a Porche 911 twin turbo in every way. Same cornering, braking, 0-60. Everything about it was the same right down to the engine and chasis. The only difference is the body. I would pay more for the Porche looks vs the VW looks. That's how I see the 950 vs the P2000. SOUND will always come first, followed by features, but looks do count to me. Everyone has there preferences and I respect that, but for me having a piece of gear in my rack that IMO looks like it belongs in my kids toy box is not for me. Actually before the 950 I never saw a piece of HT gear that made me willing to pay more.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes the looks of the 950, but I just really don't like the looks. For me the extra cash is worth it.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I agree with both viewpoints here. I would never buy Martin Logan speakers because I cannot stand the look of electrostatics. With that being said, $375 is a steep premium to get rid of a green button. Rodney's analogy of breast implants is a little off IMO here. He talks about women paying $3000 to get more "looks", but if silicone cost $2000 and Saline cost $3000, and the end result was the same sized breast (meaning the same male appreciation factor), wouldn't it behoove you to do something with the extra grand and just get the Silicone? That's my opinion on the Outlaw. Does it look inferior to the AT? Probably, but IMO it doesn't look $375 inferior. Honestly, right now in my rack is a Harman Kardon AVR-35 receiver. It's OK looking, but since I've bought it, I can count on one hand how many times I've actively LOOKED at it in my rack. It's pretty much un-noticable. However, I cannot recall how many times I've sit back on my couch and admired the sound. That to me is far more important than appearance. But I respect everyone's opinion...to each his own. If I had more money, appearance would probably rate higher on my list. I wouldn't even care about the Outlaw or AT...I'd run straight to my dealer and get an Anthem AVM-20. Now THATS a fine looking piece.

Kiet_H

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,

I currently run the Rotel 1095 with a Parasound P/SP 1500 pre/pro. I also have the Parasound P/DD 1550 to compliment the P/SD 1500 for DTS and DD. I think the Parasounds are good pre/pro but I have also paired the Rotel with a NAD Integrated used as a pre and must say that the NAD sounds a bit better then the Parasound. If you must try different Pre/pro with your Rotel, go to a reputable high end retailer and they usually let you have in-home demo's of the items you wished to purchase. Thats what I did with the Rotel. Tried everything from Antham to Krell in the home before decided to purchase Rotel (price/performance value). Look for a good retailer and do the in-home demo's.. it'll help make hte decision alot easier.

Nikos

Auditioning
Quick Scheme:
Somebody start selling a low-cost appearance upgrade for the 950
950-front.jpg

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Nikos, GREAT JOB!!!!!

perhaps it would be easy to take the face plate off and instal a new Aluminum button and put an alum/anodized sticker over the toys-r-us cowboy

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, nobody knows for sure when the Outlaw 950 will be out. It has been delayed, delayed, and then delayed again. If you want one now, check out the AVM20, which has been getting rave reviews. I'd bet my dollar it'll be better than the 950 too, based on both manufacturer's reputation. The 1095 is a great amp, so pair it up with some decent equipment. I have mine hooked up to a TagMcLaren AV32R powering my PSB Stratus Goldi's, C6i and Image 2B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks