Pre-Pro for VMPS HT setting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by michael_c-ch, Oct 26, 2002.

1. michael_c-ch

michael_c-ch Auditioning

Finally I am getting there…I should receive my VMPS speakers very shortly… I can’t wait

A the moment the setting is (will be in few days...):

VMPS RM40 for main with TRT upgrade
    VMPS Large Ribbon Center
    VMPS QSO 626 Ribbon for rear speakers

1 Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono
    1 Odyssey Stratos HT3

Electrocompaniet EMC 1 CD player

Groneberg cables for IC and speakers

My listening habit is 50% HT and 50% Music. What is missing now in this setting is the Pre-pro. Currently I was almost done with my choice and it was the Anthem AVM 20 v2.0. Unfortunately this unit won’t be available for Europe before beginning of next year. Therefore I need to see what I should do now. Find somethine “interim” until I can get the Anthem or go definitely for something else... (What would be your advice...)

After reading here and there for alternatives I am now thinking of (reading only as listning is not that easy aournd here... ):

MERIDIAN 568/562.2 COMBO
    B&K Ref 50
    Integra RDC 7
    Pioneer VSA-AX10 (used as Pre-Pro)
    Tag Mclaren AV 32
    Krell Showcase 7.1

Long list indeed..

So your advice or experiences on any of these Pre Pro (or others) will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Michael

2. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

Allso look at Classe new ssp-60.I can send you a litte info if you what.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

This is an interesting system especially since you live in Switzerland. The reason I say that is nearly all of your gear is American made and most of your choices are at least non-European. Just surprised since their is plethora of great European audio companies.

With great companies like Electrocompaniet, Piega, and Gamut amongst others on your doorstep surprised you didn't choose them. Other than the CD player of course.

Anyways some other suggestions manufactured closer to home would be Primare, Naim, and Chord (although I think this one is extravagantly priced).

4. michael_c-ch

michael_c-ch Auditioning

Hi Scott,

In fact your last comment was the reason I went with us gears. For the same quality I get (especially with VMPS and Odyssey) I would pay here in Europe at least twice the price. I made a lot of investigations here and the brands you mentioned (especially Naim and Chord or also Piega ) are VERY expensive. Therefore I went for US gears that gives me the same quality (if not better…) but for a much more affordable budget.

Just as an example…I really think that Piega are probably the most “design” speakers I saw. But from what I heard we pay a lot for this design but the “sound” quality is not necessarily the best (B&O is also another example)…. IMHO.

5. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I have a friend who just bought some VMPS speakers and fitted them into an HT. He went with a Kora pre-amp and Kora Cosmos amps which are made in France (I think?).
    I have not heard of VMPS being used very much on this forum so you might want to check out www.harmonicdiscord.com. There is an entire section there dedicated to these speakers.
    Cheers,
    Lin

6. michael_c-ch

michael_c-ch Auditioning

In fact I am not really questioning about VMPS but about Pre-Pro. (Please read the first Post)

7. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Michael,

I would definitely stick with a dedicated pre-pro in your situation. I have not heard all the processors you have listed, but since you have an excellent source, I would stick with something like the lastest model Tag AV32, which has excellent quality in 2 channel audio. It is also upgradable, and the company is committed to offering owners upgrades, unlike some other companies. However, since I do not know your budget, and the exact costs of the pre-pros you mentioned in Swizterland, I can only give some general advice.

Btw, did you happen to compare the Piega ribbons to the VMPS? I am interested in the flagship P10 models, and from all accounts is meant to be a world-beater. Your advice much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Mike

8. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I did read your post correctly and fully understand you are looking to pair up good electronics with your VMPS speakers. I guess what I was trying to say is that you might find more info on what pre-amps work well with VMPS speakers at Harmonic Discord because they seem to discuss VMPS more than we do here at HTF.

Sorry for the confusion and good luck with your quest.

Lin