What's new

Pre-pro for Parasound 1205? (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
After scouring this forum and avsforum, and after bailing on the HK 8000 deal after all the bad receivers went out, I am quickly becoming sold on the separates approach. The Parasound 1205 five channel amp in particular is appealing to me right now. Wish I could combine it with my old Sony 30ES since I do like its sound, but I don't think it has pre-outs. What would you guys recommend for a pre-pro? I am driving Paradigm Monitor 7.2s and a reference studio center.

DanaA

Screenwriter
My opinion is that amp will sound sweet (very) with your speakers. I have the 1205A mated with the Rotel 1066 and the combo make my Klipsch reference speakers sound beautifully euphonic. The only other pre-pro I auditioned was the Parasound 2500u and, to me, the sound was more musical on the Rotel. If you're interested in the Rotel's, I'd go over to the site linked below to go in with open eyes. Like most pre-pros, there are problem areas, none of which are currently bothering me, but you might want to read up on what they are. If the price of the Rotel is too high (1499 list, but some, myself included, have been successful in bargaining down), I'd check out the Outlaw (I think, $899). If you have more to spend, check out the Anthem or B&K. Also, it's important to research and decide on what features are most important to you. In any regard, you should have one great system when you're done, set up, and callibrated.
Here's your link

Michael_V

Second Unit
Dana,

Thanks for the link! Lot of great info in there!

I do like the idea of going Rotel 1066 with the Parasound 1205 amp. What kind of issues should I be aware of with this combination?

Mike

DanaA

Screenwriter
Many think the double bass issue is the most irksome. What happens is that, on things such as SACD or DVDA, the unit sends a full signal out to the speaker, while, at the same time, sending a signal to the sub, causing an overlapping bass. At least, that's my understanding of the problem. Rotel has been reviewing the posts over at the board you visited and is aware of the problem. They are trying to address the wants and needs of the posters over there via firmware upgrades and hopefully this is one of the problems being addressed. Also, some of the units have a popping sound which seemingly occurs at different times for different users, but, again, I don't have this problem. I do know that recent models have increased the bandwidth on their video switching from 10 to 200 Mhz bandwidth, definitely a huge improvement for those who use video switching and something I would really want to make sure your unit had regardless if you ended up buying one.

JerryIII

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Rotel 1066 paired with my Parasound HCA-2003A, and 2 HCA-1000A amplifiers. I highly recommend this pre/pro.

Jerry

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
As DanaA mentioned, the Outlaw 950 is worth considering, especially if budget is a major consideration. It has a tuner, which the Rotel does not, but on the other hand is not software upgradeable. It does have better bass management for analog sources (SACD/DVD-A) than the Rotel and when configured in the recommended manner, does not have the 'double bass' problem. I'm not familiar with your speakers, but people with very sensitive speakers such as Klipsch's have had a problem with excessive hiss, which apparently has finally been remedied, so make sure that you get the latest model. There's lots more info/advice at the Outlaw 950 forum. Follow other links for specs etc. from the manufacturer. There's a very laudatory review of the Outlaw 950 in the upcoming Perfect Vision here (you'll need to pony up $3 if you want to read the whole thing) that points out that this pre/pro mates synergistically with the Outlaw 770 7 channel amp. I've been very happy with the 950/1205A combo, although I did replace the remote with a Home Theater Master MX-500.

Eric A

Second Unit
I have to agree with everyone above as the Rotel and Outlaw are both great choices. I was recently looking at preamps as I have an older Lexicon DC-1 v.4. I looked and listen to both the Rotel and Outlaw and could not pull the trigger as neither one was as flexible nor sounded as good as the Lexicon. I may be an option as you cna find them used for around $1200.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Yes, the Lexicon DC-1 is the other pre pro I am considering, and $1200 is about my budget right now. I do have a feeling the Lex will sound better, but I guess I am a philistine because I still favor the Rotel, and that primarily because the Lexicon looks so . . . seventies while the Rotel has a sexier look. I have heard great things about Outlaw, too, but the potential speaker hiss problem is unacceptable to me.

By the way, I pulled the trigger on the Parasound. Should be here the week after next! Went through Audiogon. I have an offer in on a Rotel 1066 there, as well, but the seller went silent after I asked for the serial number. Hmmmmm. What are everyone's experiences with this service?

Eric A

Second Unit
I am very confident in Audiogon. I am dealing for a peice on their as we speak. DO your homework as you can get burned just as anywhere else. The seller could be away for the holidays etc. so give them some time.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Good to hear!

I did hear from the seller and found out he already sold the 1066. Darn! The search continues. . . .

DanaA

Screenwriter
Michael,

Here's another option to consider, especially if you like the Rotels. According to Andrew Pratt (he's the moderator at the Rotel board I referred you to earlier), there is little difference between the pre-pro end of the 1055 receiver and the 1066 dedicated pre-pro. In fact, he traded in the 1066 for the 1055 and couldn't notice any difference. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the receiver goes for something like $1250 list price. I can't remember exactly, but know it's less than the 1066. Yet, you not only get a similar pre-pro that, like the 1066, is firmware upgradable, you have the power end tossed in. I think the power is assignable, meaning that you wouldn't need to add another amp should you ever go 7.1. You also get a tuner, which the 1055 has, but 1066 doesn't. I'm no expert on the 1055, so you'd have to look into it, but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. Look over at the other site. There are a couple of threads where this is discussed pretty thoroughly.

And remember to dicker a bit on the price. The local store I bought mine from stated they were steadfast in not lowering the price, but ended up lowering the price when I said I'd buy it that moment. Others have not been successful in this regard however, but some have.

By the way, I think the Rotels look sexier than crap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks