What's new

pre-pro for only 129.99??? (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard the DD 5.1 with descent amplification and speakers yet? It seems to be the only one that has RCA outputs on the back. Also, I could use the extra rack space by going smaller. I have a full rack space processor I use now although I don't use it as part of my stereo listening. I have my processor hooked up to my T-AP9000es switcher which allows me to separate my 2-channel system from my HT system completely. Straight 5.1 is good enough for me and running my speakers large from the processor is fine because I use an ICBM for bass management.

Everyone is saying that the sound of these units may not be good compared to a receivers processor but I'm not sure that we can throw all of them in the same bucket of water. Out of all of the units that were mentioned in this thread, Klipsch is the only one that is also big in the home audio department as well. I am willing to bet that this processr is as good or better then the sound of the Technic processors at the least and depending on your amplification, would probably be better then most mid-fi receiver offerings on the market today. A receiver may have more features but not necessarily the features that I need inorder to pop a movie in and enjoy it. Some may differ in opinion and that's OK with me. As far as the sound of the unit goes, I think it's more system dependent then anything else.

So has anyone heard the DD 5.1 with descent amplification and speakers yet?

Martice

Screenwriter
OK, after a little research I was able to find a review that was pretty informative regarding the Klipsch DD 5.1 processor.
Link Removed
Would it be worth it to replace my Denon 1801 with one of these min-pre/pros? The Denon only has pre-outs for L/C/R channels and I would like to run all of the channels through my Rotel 985 MK2. I thinking I should probably just start saving my pennies for a "real" pre/pro but I was wondering what everyone thinks.
That depends on how much "extra features" mean to you and what amplification you're using. If yo like to just run your movies straight with no effects and 6 or 7.1 is not important to you then I'd check the Klipsch DD 5.1 out. I really don't like the units that have the mini plugs for connectors so the Klipsch unit is the only one that I would consider out of the bunch. It has RCA outs for all channels and is simple to use and quite flexible. Even more flexible then the Technics 500 unit. I'm seriously considering the Klipsch unit because I need the rack space that my present Pre/Pro occupies for a Hi-Rez multi-channel player that I want.
For $169.00 you can't beat it unless DPLII, video switching or THX is necessary for you. I'm more of a music guy so that's where most of my funds go toward so this unit seems to fill the void easily.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Martice

The Technics SH-AC500 has 6 channel inputs and a "Through" mode, whereby you can skip all processing. This allow for stereo sources, like CDs to be played.

From what I can tell, the Klipsch does not have a "Through" mode. Seems to me this makes it less flexible than the 500.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Artie

Martice

Screenwriter
OK, maybe not as flexible in that respect. However, in terms of sound the Klipsch does have multiple bass management selections. Also, it automatically selects the digital source automatically where as the Technics has to be selected manually. Not to mention the fact that the Klipsch is also PC ready for those with a HTPC.

As far as hooking up a CD to the Technics, I doubt anyone that is the least bit interested in 'quality' 2-channel sound is going to use the Technics as a serious pre amp unless they have no choice. If your serious enough to buy separate ampification I doubt that you'd settle on the Technics or even the Klipsch unit (although I never heard the Klipsch unit) as a sensible choice to play your wonderfully recorded music through.

This is a quote from the review I posted above:

The balance mode allows you to attenuate each of the six channels by up to -12dB. You are also able to calibrate the delay in the surround channels by up to 15 ms and in the center channel by up to 5 ms. A built-in five-band EQ lets you adjust areas of sound by up to +/-10dB. The manual doesn't say where the frequencies are, or how wide of a band you're tweaking, but the spread covers the spectrum neatly. You can save up to four EQ settings and load them at any time thanks to four user-defined slots. Lastly, Dynamic Range Compression can be set to squeeze the digital signal in one three settings: uncompressed, half compressed, or fully compressed.
You can hook up three 2-channel devices with one being a direct line and the other two being auxillarys, one digital input via coaxial and one via optical.

How's that for flexibility?

Geno

Supporting Actor
gosh for only $40 more I might have gotten the Klipsch if I had known about it.

Martice

Screenwriter
If you have a ICBM your set. I need the rack space so I may have to look at this unit closer and am considering selling my pre/pro and pick this one up.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
About the passthru on the SH-AC500D...

I don't think this one is pure analog passthru. This would limit the use of this to non audiophile sources.

T.

Martice

Screenwriter
I have the HK 2.0 which to me serves my purpose quite well but since I don't use it for 2-channel music and only use it for movies going straight 5.1, I could make the trade off and make use of the extra space.

Geno

Supporting Actor
hmmm is it just a prepro? I searched and couldnt find it thru google.

gat a good link?

Jonathan M

Second Unit
For those of you who were after a sound quality review of these type of units, the closest I've found is here:
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=35728
This is a dolby digital/DTS decoder. I don't know how valid the sound quality comments are. I am personally going to be comparing one of these units (As similar Jazz DE007) to a suitable receiver within the next few weeks, so will try and offer as close to an ABX test as possible (Given that I'll be doing this in a Hifi store) comparing the decoding capabilities of a mid/low priced receiver and this unit.
My own planned system is a biamped 5 channel setup with sub. I have designed all the bass management etc. so will not be testing the xover settings of the decoder - all I need is the decoding into the discrete channels and the volume control.
If anyone else has tried a unit similar to this out, please let us know as to the sound quality compared to low/mid priced receivers!
Cheers
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks