What's new

pre-pro for only 129.99??? (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
hmmm....no 6 channel analog inputs and no mention of the LFE crossover frequency. Is "better than -70 dB" good for the SNR?

besides that...it's pretty spiffy

but...how much $$$?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I thought I'd mention this for those that might consider this option or already have a DD decoder but RS sells an analog to digital (both coax and optical, it also upconverts RCA video to S-Video as well though I haven't used it) converter that doesn't pop when changing channels on the VCR (I use the Technics SH-AC500D in this fashion so I can get DPL for watching recorded events).

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
PS: Arthur, check the cap on your Technics decoder as mine popped and leaked and after replacing it worked. Hopefully this helps.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Robert_Gaither

Thank you for the suggestion. I took the top off and all the caps seemed perfectly fine. My unit is out of warranty and it could cost quite a bit to take it to the repair facility. Some of the Panasonic-Technics repair facilities automatically will do $70 worth of work on a piece BEFORE they call for an ok to go further. Some charge $25 for the diagnosis, and then call to tell you the full price of the repair and give you the choice to call it quits or go ahead.

Also, when they repair them, they usually only cover the repaired unit for 90 days.

I had a Sony TV that blew the flyback tranformer just short of a year. Sony gives 90 days labor on many of its products, with a year on parts.

The cost of the repair (all labor since parts were within a year), was close to $100.

Within 6 months, the same thing happened. I could tell by the same symptom.

As useful as my SH-AC500D has been, at this time I don't plan to try to get it fixed.

If there were new ones still around with warranty coverage that would be a different story, but I don't think there have been any new ones made for over a year, maybe more.

I have ordered a Kenwood VR-6070 from an authorized dealer. It will cost 3 times the price of an SH-AC500 but it will have all the new surround formats and is THX, which is something I've always wanted even though it is not too important at this point in time.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful suggestion.

In the meantime I am limping along with the PCM version of DVD soundtracks.

Artie

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Why are you calling these pre/pro? Almost every model listed here is nothing more than a digital decoder. To be a pre amp it needs to have the ability to have multiple inputs both analog and digital as well as ideally video switching. I see the use for those looking for an external digital decoder if all they have is pro-logic, but beyond that I am at a loss.

Why not just buy one of the many 200 dollar receivers on the market and get DD/DTS processing and most likely better construction and features? Can anyone clear this up for me?

J

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Justin,

If you're going to split hairs, then I would point out that source switching is not a necessary (though perhaps extremely common) feature of a "pre amp" either. Most certainly, video switching is a not traditionally a feature of a "pre-amp"!

Many of the units discussed above do indeed do some level of source switching, BTW.

A "pre amp" traditionally was an amplifier, which would amplify a very weak signal (say, from a phono amplifier) to a strength necessary to drive a power amplifier. That is, from around 150mA to a volt or two.

The terminology is getting more and more vague and overloaded, though.

Martin.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I am well aware of what a pre-amp is and what the functions of one are, but my question may not have been clear to you...why would anyone want to use the units mentioned in this thread as a pre/pro? I can see using them for digital processing if you have an older DD/DTS ready pro-logic receiver or processor, but whats the point of making them the heart of ones system?

It looks like most only have one or two analog inputs, to go along with the couple supplied digital inputs. Video switching may not be necessary in a pre/pro but it has been a standard feature in even entry level receiver for quite some time.

If you are looking for a unit to build your system around, why not buy a cheap receiver with digital processing, A?V switching and more inputs for the same price? Am I still missing something...why would you want one of these featureless units to be the heart of your A/V system?

J

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
the cheapest receivers with all channel preouts run about $300+. i don't need video switching....all i need is 2 digital inputs and a set of analog inputs. thus, these little decoders have everything i need without me paying for stuff i don't

Geno

Supporting Actor
The main reason that I had purchased the "mini pre/pro" was primarily for the remote volume control. I previously had a DIY passive preamp, which was strictly manual volume control. I did not like walking around every time thephone rang, doorbell rang, etc.. I already have a DVD player that decodes so I didnt "need" the extra decoder. Yes I benefit from the other surround modes and Ill use them with my digital cable. But all in all, this little unit does everything that a "true pre/pro" would do, except having a radio and video switching, which I would have bypassed anyway. call it what you will, but I couldnt see myself paying 1/3 or more of my whole HT budget on one component [besides the projector].

After playing around with my unit for a few weeks, I am very pleased with the results.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Another good thing about these pre-pro's is that when they come up with a little box with THX &/or THX ex, I can almost toss the one i have now and not have remorse.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I see why these units work for some of you guys now. Unfortunately for myself I have too many devices hooked uo in my system, as well as DVD-A, necessitating a 5.1 analog input. I also use the video switching my receiver offers (component, s-video, and composite) so these would not work for me either.

J

Geno

Supporting Actor
Thats cool Justin. I know these little guys arent for everyone. And I wouldnt recomend them to those looking for "the best sound". It is just a very inexpensive convinience. When I have a house that I can invest in top-of-the-line gear, I will definately upgrade to a much better unit. But its fine for a 26 yr old in an apartment, and on a very tight budget.

Geno

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Actually I see another use for this in that if a person's AVR (assuming having rear pre-outs) or pre-amp that only has 5.1 processing then this could be used to extract the center rear (thus simulating DD-EX and DTS-ES matrix).

Geno

Supporting Actor
Justin, in a way you were correct about my unit not being a preamp. It does decode and process the signal, but I have noticed that it does not boost to the signal the way that my SS preamp does. I have had to turn the volume up to -10 db sometimes to not struggle to hear the movies. As an experiment, I hooked my SS [stereo] preamp up to the main outs and I definately notice a difference. my budget wont allow me to get a regular prepro anytime soon, but this was a definate learning experience.

Geno

Supporting Actor
I finally got word on the bass management from Midiland

read it how you will:

Hello Mr. Geno,

Thank you for contacting MidiLand. "The award winning speaker manufacturer."

Regarding your e-mail, here is the information about the ADS-4000 bass managment feature. The following is a brief description on bass management feature of ADS-4000:

}[ADS-4000 supports BM (Bass Management) mode of 0, 1, 2 and 3 depending on user's speaker setup.

If user has set, all speakers to Large (or rear/center sp, N/A), and sub-woofer ON, then BM mode 0 will be selected. In this mode, all 5 channels will produce full-range frequency, from 20Hz to 20kHz, and sub-woofer will reproduce LFE + low freq. portion of 5 CH, at cross-over of 100Hz

If user has set, front speaker to small (don't care for rear/center), and sub-woofer ON or front : Large, rear & center : small, sub-woofer ON or front : Large, rear : small, center : Large, sub-woofer ON, then BM mode 1 will be selected. In this mode, 5 CH will produce high-pass filtered signal (from 100Hz to 20kHz) and sub-woofer will produce LFE + low pass filtered 5 CH at 100Hz (20Hz to 100Hz)

If user has set, front speaker : Large (rear/center : don't care), sub-woofer OFF, then BM mode 2 will be selected. In this mode, front L/R will produce full-range its own signal + LFE (LFE redirected to front L/R) and rear/center will produce high-pass filtered signal (from 100Hz to 20kHz)

If user has set, front/rear : Large, center : small, then BM mode 3 will be selected and its behavior is quite different depending on sub-woofer ON or OFF. This mode is somewhat complicated and I will not leave detailed information on this.

In summary, ADS-4000 supports full range of Bass Management complying to Dolby Specification and its selection is automatic, so users don't need to know about BM details.]{

------------------------

Well there it is. I know this unit is mainly for gamers with little subs with 5.5" drivers. so like I said read it how you will.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Would it be worth it to replace my Denon 1801 with one of these min-pre/pros? The Denon only has pre-outs for L/C/R channels and I would like to run all of the channels through my Rotel 985 MK2. I thinking I should probably just start saving my pennies for a "real" pre/pro but I was wondering what everyone thinks.

Chris S.

Geno

Supporting Actor
I think you would be very disapointed going from the denon to one of these. for me, its like the first step. what speakers do you have? maybe you could upgrade to bi-ampable speakers and biamp the mains thru the rotel [i assume its a 5 channel] then 1 channel for the center and use the denon for surrounds.

for many, a receiver has all of the convieniences ppl are looking for. this really doesnt.

look at the manual online.read my review again. Like i said before, I bought this unit mainly as a remote control

if you have any other ?'s, ill try to answer them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks