What's new

pre-pro for only 129.99??? (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
I purchased the Midiland ADS 4000 last week and finally got time to play around with it over the weekend. For reference, I have a jvc dvd player and a b&k video 5 [5x105]
My speakers are no bigger than bookshelves so I cant really get too trechnical.
Although I believe this was designed for a pc/gaming application, it works with my HT. I purchased this unit because 1) I am trying to stay within budget, 2)I wanted a remote control. I previously used the dvd player's decoder and used a DIY passive preamp [no remote] 3)I wanted DPL for cable tv.
This little bugger has DD, DTS, DPL, 3speaker, stadium, theater, and music settings. Bass management, delay settings, volume settings. DD and DTS are auto-detected.
First off, here are the only problems I have encountered so far. When I turn on my TV, there is a gap in sound for a second. If I isolate my tv from the Midiland, outlet wise, this shouldnt happen. Also, when I am changing volume, I hear a click or something at multiples of 10. Lowest volume is -74 db and highest is 0. I listen from -40 to -15 depending on time of day/what I am listening to.
Besides those things, I am happy with my purchase. It did sound a bit bright to me, but as I said, my speakers are far from perfect and I cannot make many assumtions. This unit is great for those just getting into seperates or for those looking for a receiver just for the pre-outs. It does not include a tuner. Also, it does not deal with any video signals at all, which might make things a bit confusing when switching inputs.
All in all I give it a 8/10
It could probably use better circutry inside and I wish it was THX capable.
For more info, go to www.midiland.com
Model # ADS 4000
Price: $129.99
go to http://www.midiland.com/manuals.asp
for detailed info.
I will try to answer any questions you might have
geno

Geno

Supporting Actor
I know, there was no way I'd spend $2000 on a nice pre-pro.
Just not in my budget. This unit basically completes my setup. now I can upgrade to some nice speakers and have some $$$ left over! I wonder if any other companies have any products like this one

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
klipsch makes something very similiar....pretty much identical

only downside is the lack of 5.1 analog inputs for SACD or DVD-A...right?

Edit: also, what is the LFE crossover set at? is it adjustable?

Geno

Supporting Actor
Yeah, dang I would have spent just a bit more for the klipsch if I had known. Analog inputs on the midiland are mini jacks. I only use one input though so it dont really matter.
Bass management has 4 settings, I havent hooked up sub yet so I havent played with it.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I can't find the product on Klipsch's website-- anyone have a link to the product info site?
Anywho- very interesting development. I know a lot of people with soundcards with optical output but no onboard DD/DTS, so this would be of great interest to them I think. Thanks for the heads-up. Great idea. :emoji_thumbsup:

Geno

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
There you go John
PS Klipsch is selling Star Wars computer speakers????

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
geno....when you have the time i'd really appreciate it if you could find out what frequencies you could set the LFE crossover at.

Geno

Supporting Actor
look at the link to the manual above, it might tell you otherwise, ill let you know tommorow

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
This is an interesting critter indeed, especially the Klipsch version. It reminds me of the Technics SH-AC500D except maybe the 500 can do a little more with 6 channel pass through.

My SH-AC500 is not functioning properly and this could be an inexpensive replacement.

Geno

Thanks for the interesting post.

Artie

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Reading the manual (available online), it crosses over at 120 htz only. But combine this device with an Outlaw ICBM, and it could be a pretty winning combo - if it sounds any good, of course.

It even offers time delay for the surround speakers!

Martin.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
hmm....it mentions the LFE for dolby digital being 20-120hz. but it's sorta sketchy. hopefully it isn't 120hz as that would make it easy to point out where the sub is due to localization at the higher frequencies.

Edit: martin beat me to it! anybody know what the LFE crossover is on the klipsch?

Geno

Supporting Actor
Ill do some tests tonite to see If I can change the LFE xover point. I thought I read somewhere that i could...

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
oh! ok

hmm...i say we all write some emails to the guys at klipsch and midiland to include 6 channel analog inputs and an adjustable LFE crossover on the next version of their decoders. midiland especially because klipsch makes a pre/pro (aragon).

Martice

Screenwriter
hmm...i say we all write some emails to the guys at klipsch and midiland to include 6 channel analog inputs and an adjustable LFE crossover on the next version of their decoders. midiland especially because klipsch makes a pre/pro (aragon).
I think it was mentioned above that for the price of the Midiland processor and a seperate ICBM form OUtlaw Audio, why would internal bass management be a big issue? The ICBM is $249.00 and the Midiland is $180. Hmmm, that's $430.00 for both which is still a steal.

I'm waiting for the sound quality feedback because this sounds very interesting.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
yeah but i think it is sorta silly to buy the ICBM for $70 more than the pre/pro. for $430 you can get a pretty descent receiver to use as a pre/pro (with 6 channel analog inputs and an LFE crossover less than 100hz)

a logitech speaker system which should be released in a few months comes with a decoder with dts, DD, DPLII, and 6 channel analog inputs. Hopefully they sell it separately.

Martice

Screenwriter
a logitech speaker system which should be released in a few months comes with a decoder with dts, DD, DPLII, and 6 channel analog inputs. Hopefully they sell it separately.
Now that sounds interesting. If it comes off with limited bugs and sounds competative and sells for under $200.00 then it's something to scratch my chin at. However, I doubt that it would when this is the same company that sells a remote control keyboard for $100.00. Then again you never know.

Miklsan K

Agent
Just out of curiousity, what is the least expensive preamp or receiver on the market that features analog bass management for SACD and DVD-A?

Geno

Supporting Actor
Looks like a few more pc/gaming speaker companies are joining the bandwagon. Ive seen a couple of other "little boxes" like the midiland and the Klipsch. Ill try to post them as I see them

Users who are viewing this thread