pre pro for home theater use?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Colin Goddard, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Right now I use my Integra dtr-6 (5.1) as a pre pro along with a B&K AV 5000 amp for watching movies. I was wanting to upgrade to a real pre pro, maybe a used B&K Ref.30 or a Rotel 1066.

My question is, will there be a noticable, (better) sound from a dedicated pre pro over my Integra receiver for listening to movies. I know I would gain new formats,6.1, ES and so on, but to be honest, my Integra does a pretty good with movies! I was thinking though a real pre pro would offer better DAC's and processing.

I have read several times that pre pro's are great for 2 channel audio, but what about movie's?

Colin

2. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

Colin,

I'm responding because I just got the 1066. I had an Adcom Pro Logic decoder forever, and I do mean forever. It is night and day moving on to the 1066. Of course you wouldn't notice as much difference as you already have discrete channels but for me it was great. I do love the flexibility of the unit and the possibility to upgrade via software updates as progress marches on. I'm currently using it as a 6.1 processor and really enjoy the extra surround speaker. I must admit, though, that very little time has been spent listening to two channel, although what I have heard has caused no complaints. David