What's new

Pre/Pro for a HK 525 fan (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I am beginning to make the move to seperates and have recently purchased an ATI AT1505 amp, and I like what it has done for the sound of my system.

I am currently using the HK AVR525 as a pre/pro. I like its features, and was wonder what pre/pro I should be looking at that will have the same features. This is my first foray into seperates, and would like to stay as far under the $2K mark new/used.

The features that I specifically like are:

1. Seperate speaker level adjustments for each processing mode.

2. The ability to set different crossover points for mains, center, and surrounds.

3. Flexible bass management for the analog 5.1 inputs (I realize the 525 does this in the digital domain).

I looked at the Outlaw 950 as a starting point, but it does not have #1, and #3 is set to 80hz all the way around.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Curtis,

Any particular reason you want to ditch the HK? If you’re happy with it, why spend money on something else that will do essentially the same thing?

Actually it’s hard to beat a receiver as a pre-pro, especially from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint. It’s generally accepted that it takes a fairly high-end pre-pro to get the features and flexibility that mid-line receivers offer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Thanks Wayne,

I am beginning to think the same thing from looking at what is available.

Yes...I am happy with it. Just interested in going to "real" seperates, and even without driving any speakers, the 525 still puts out a fair amount of heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.