Pre/Pro back to a Receiver, Can you ever go back home ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Williams, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Kelly Williams

Hello All,

Has anybody here changed from separates back to a receiver and been happy? My dilemma is cost I’m setting on a boxed up Acurus Act-III waiting for the traded in program to start for the Stage One. I sold my amps several months ago (just not happy with them) an Aragon 8008ST and an Adcom GFA-555. I was watching movies with out surrounds and I’m itching to pull the trigger on 4 more speakers (Paradigm Reference) for a 7.1 set up.

So $2500.00 for the Stage One, $ ????.00 for 4 surrounds and who knows how much for 7 channels of amplification. I’m having buyer’s remorse already just thinking about the cost. “Can you really go back home ?” I see a lot of people moving up from receivers to lower cost pre/pro’s and amps, don’t know if I want to go down this path again.

Anybody here back at home and happy ?

Kelly

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Yes, I have moved back/forth on several occasions. I think if you are willing to buy a mid level reciever with at least a 3 channel amp up front that you will be very surprised on how close the sound is,especially for movies.If your critical with music however, the changes are more apparent. Its sooo expensive to get a GREAT two channel setup anyhow.

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Kelly, what speakers do have currently?
    The reason I ask is because you said you were not happy with the amps you had in your system so you you sold them.
    Can you list at least your main speakers? [​IMG]
    Personally, for HT I would say a receiver would be ok for HT but a receiver does'nt perform well enough in 2 channel, that's where the weakness lies as far as I'm concerned.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

NEVER!!! Just wouldn't be the same.
    Kevin

5. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I admire a company like Denon who can produce a receiver

with literally thousands of parts, work with nearly

every sound format out today for home theater and produce

a product that sounds very good and WORKS, without the

annoying little problems North American - designed products

seem to always have. Yes, they now cost upwards of

$4000 for the top of the line, but for that you get

a kitchen sink that sounds really good.

-Rich

6. Kelly Williams

Hi Frank_S

I went separates back in the mid 80's Adcom GFA-555 & GFP-555 pre/amp. My sytem serves as 2 ch and HT. I was using the Acurus Act-III with the Aragon 8008ST on the main speakers Paradigm Studio 100's and the Adcom GFA-555 on the Studio CC center. While the 3.1 HT sounded very good it was lacking a little in 2 ch listen.

I have 2 receivers in the house now, a Onkyo 8211 driving the indoor and outdoor speakers and Yamaha HTR-5450 in the Home Office. I like both of them for the role they play but when it comes to 2 ch and filling the living room with HT I'm just not sure a receiver will make me happy. Having less invested in a system I may not expect as much from it ?

Kelly

7. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    It doesn't have all the newest tricks of the new Denon/Onkyo/Yahama, etc., but if you can ever audition the Nakamichi AV10 you might be surprised at the audio quality. Has TWO power transformers, one for the fronts and rears, and another for the center. 120W per channel and 20 amperes output per channel in stereo mode. I have the Nak AV500 that Best Buy was selling 3 years ago, and it is just amazing. Has the same basic design except 25 amperes output. It badly blew away a Sherwood Newcastle R725 I had bought and ended up sending back. The Newcastle was supposed to have 165 watt per channel, but wasn't in the same leage with the Nak, and it had audible hum in the speakers. Also, because of needing another receiver I just ordered and auditioned a Marantz SR8000 which I am also sending back. Again, it just can't match the $300 Nakamichi. The sound was not nearly as open, bass was weaker and muddy, and the Marantz was d&*m near impossible to figure out and use. Just my 2c.

8. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Kelly, seems like 2 channel is your major priority- why not get a great 2 channel preamp (heaps of options available, I think most were discussed in a recent thread) and buy a relatively inexpensive HT pre/pro like Rotel 1066 or Outlaw? That way you get a system that plays to your preferences for less than the cost of the Acurus.

Cheers,

Mike

9. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

I went from a 7.1 Meridian 568/504/501 with 2 Sunfire SG (10x200) Biamping the 3 front channels plus 2 sides and 2 rears. Speakers are Paradigm Studio Ref 100/cc/20/adp. to a 7.1 B&K 307 with the same speakers.

At first it was a big difference, but now I don't miss it. I enjoy the system for what it is, granted it's not as dynamic, detialed and refined as before, close, but it still very enjoyable which is the bottom line.

The B&K is a fine product, I've had no problems.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

...and you were able to buy a used car after trading the Meridian for the B&K. [​IMG]

11. Kelly Williams

[​IMG] Guy's Thanks for the info. Guess I'm on a soul/home equity loan search...hehehe
    Kelly[​IMG]

12. Kelly Williams

Well I have been with out my main HT for over 6 months now and I have really missed the BIG sound my small system in the home office just can’t pull off. I have sold the amps and pre/pro and have just been setting back and watching the ever changing progress in formats and equipment and decided save the money and be a late adopter of newest tech this time around.

I pulled the trigger on a (new) Yamaha RX-V1000 on ubid this weekend for $389.00 plus their heavy handed shipping of $45.00. I know this model has been replaced but it will do everything my old Act-III would and a lot more plus I will finally order some rear surround’s and leap into the world of 5.1! 

I will let you know If I can recall what the old set up sounded like compaired to the new receiver, I just hope it still has some slam on music like the Aragon had.

Later.

Kelly

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I tried to audition speakers at a high end audio/video store and I asked them a few questions.

The guys there stated didn't help us at all, however they did answer some of my questions:

"There is no pre/pro under $4000 that sounds good" The low end pre/pro is the Anthem 20 which we carry"

"Outlaw sounds bad in my opinion, I wouldn't go with anything outlaw"

"We don't carry rotel, no I have not heard the 1066. If you are going to spend less than $4000 on a pre/pro then you might as well go with an integrated receiver like the Pioneer 49-TX which we carry. I believe it sounds better than any pre/pro under $4000."

"Denon is a bestbuy/circuit city brand, we carry brands such as lexicon, mark levinson, and marantz."

This guy made me upset with the way his attitude was towards me and I just left.

So according to him, the pre/pros start at $4k which is conveniently the level where the flagship receivers drop off.

14. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

With the release of the Rotel 1055, I can be pursuaded given the fact that for a substantial costs saving, one gets a lot lot more...

T.

15. Gifford L

Gifford L Agent

I stepped down to a 3802 for a time and enjoyed it. The difference isn't a big as some would have you believe.