What's new

Pre/pro and Amps: what influences sound more? (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
I can't quite figure this out. Which has a bigger influence, and why?

Furthermore, can an AVR ever duplicate the best of the lower-echelon separates?

And finally, what is the one thing that makes separates sound better. The one crucial factor. Is it something that AVRS can ever overcome?

Gianni

Agent
Jeff,
Check this out--here is one reviewers finding on a related subject. Specifically check out the section "The Journey"
Link Removed

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I've always thought that power amps made the difference, until I started auditioning equipment for my own purchase a couple of years ago. I discovered that I could more easily tell the difference between the prepros then I could with the power amps.

As for AVRs, yes, the top of the line AVRs from Pioneer, Integra Research, Denon and B&K, to name a few, at least approach if not best the lower-echelon separates.

Yogi

Screenwriter
IMHO, preamps will make a bigger difference in detail resolution, soundstaging and imaging and amps will make a bigger difference in sheer dynamics and impact.

So if you are into movies then getting a bigger badder amp will be a better upgrade and if you are into music getting a better preamp would be the way to go.

My 2 cents.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, speakers and room acoustics "influence" the sound the most. Simply make sure your preamp and amp are well matched, and that the amp in turn is a good match for the speakers. Preamp and amp "sound" should not even exist if the units are well-designed.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Since I've moved from having a receiver, then adding a power amp, then replacing the receiver with a dedicated pre/pro, I'll sound in. For me, the power amp made much more difference. A large part of that can be attributed to the opinion that the amp section of a Parasound is much warmer than the amp section of an Onkyo. A warm amp compliments my Klipsch speakers, so, to me, it sounded a lot better. But things such as the dynamics and definition of different sonic tones also improved dramatically. When I updated to a pre/pro, the sound improved somewhat in home theater, but much more noticably in two channel sound. So, between the two, my vote would go for the power amp, but with extenuating circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks