What's new

Pre-pro advice (1 Viewer)

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,

My contrarian stance (as I've posted numerous times here) is to keep your receiver, and don't buy a new pre/pro.

My advice is to buy a stereo preamp. If your system is 50% music (I assume 2-channel), don't allow some evil HT pre/pro anywhere near your 2-channel signal path.

Simply patch all 2-channel inputs into this stereo preamp, allowing you to bypass your HT receiver completely.

When watching DVDs, the signal for the Mains can be patched (via PreOuts) from the receiver directly into this stereo preamp, and selected as a source. This way, this stereo preamp and Bryston power block are integrated into HT as well as 2-channel.

This way, your receiver is nowhere near your 2-channel enjoyment, and it's sole purpose for DVDs (as a power amp) is to power the Center and Rears. For DVDs, it will still serve as a pre/pro. You can find other posts I've made relative to this "challenge".

The bottom line is that one would expect to be able to find a $2,000 stereo preamp that will outperform a $2,000 HT pre/pro (although I'm sure there are multiple exceptions to this assumption). After all, a HT pre/pro has more tasks to handle, and these extra tasks have an associated cost.

If stereo music is half of your system's usage, NEVER allow HT to compromise it!

Kevin

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, lots to consider.

I have a decent receiver, Marantz SR8000, but its been damaged driving my 'Logans. One of my options is to repair it, which I need to look into.

Alternatively I'm considering buying a decent pre-pro with a musical emphasis. One that looks interesting is a used Classe SSP-25. Also thinking about used MC-1, B&K ref 30. Trying to find a very good channel pre that also has 7.1 pro.

I'm nervous about the Outlaw, there's no free lunch. Something's got to be compromised for that price.

Larry

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Larry,
I assume you've considered the Bryston SP-1 or SP-1.7. Absolutely superb sound quality. Certainly a new 1.7 is above your price range, but perhaps a used SP-1? Since you're in Canada, you might be able to do better than US buyers.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Larry,

The Classe SSP25 is only 5.1 and not upgradeable. The SSP30mkII has 6.1/7.1 (no DPL2, but has DTS-Neo) and might be attainable for ~2k used in Canada. Two companies did design their prepros around their TOP-of-the-line 2 channel preamps. The Bryston SP1/SP1.7 should have the same circuitry as the BP25 preamp (retail 2k). The SP1 is 5.1 only (and goes for ~ 1900 used); the upgrade to 7.1 is ~ 1k. As stated, you might do better in Canada. The Aragon Soundstage has the exact circuitry of the Aurum preamp (retail 1900). The Soundstage can be had for ~ 1300 used, and Aragon will upgrade the full digital section to 7.1 with 192/24 dacs and the latest DSP chips for 800. Full details on klipsch.com.

So when Bryston/Aragon prepro owners are using 2 channel, they *ARE* listening to the BP25 and Aurum preamps.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Lewis,

There are significant differences between the inside of the Outlaw and the Sherbourn. Let's be fair and compare apples to apples.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Significant? Besides the irrelevant video bandwidth, you think there are significant differences that you would say its not even be a fair comparison between the Outlaw and the Sherbourn?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that if you are split 50/50 between HT and Music/2channel listening, then your best course of action with $2k is to go with a mid-priced pre/pro or receiver and a good 2 chan preamp. I have yet to hear a sub-$4k retail HT pre that is comparable to a Rogue 66, Mucial Fidelity A3CR, Proceed Pre, or any other 2 Chan Preamp that sells for $600-800 used ($1k-1.5k new). If you are really serious about good HT and THE BEST POSSIBLE 2 channel music listening, then I would try to seperate the preamp sections by having a HT pre or receiver deal with the HT, and a seperate pre for 2 chan. Some HT pres and receivers that could fit the bill, all for around $700-1500 new/used:
Denon 3803
HK 625
HK 8000
Rotel 1055
Nad 762
Yamaha 2300
Marantz 7300
Outlaw 950
Lexicon DC2 v4
Lexicon MC1 (if you are lucky)
Aragon Soundstage Upgraded
Rotel 1066
Proceed AVP
Sunfire Theater Grand II
B&K REf 30

Now depending on what you might need (Component Video Switching, 5.1 inputs, DTS-ES and DD-EX, THX, etc.) you can weigh the pros/cons of each of the options I listed above. Good luck

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking at the 950, I say, try it out. :) 30 day money back guarentee.

What you *don't* get for the $899 price, is a brick and morter store (with their cut) and a high price salesman (with his/her cut).

The B&K only has global crossovers with no bass management on the 5.1 inputs.

The MC-1 doesn't have 5.1 inputs, but as others have noted, if you mate it with the Sony TA-P9000ES 5.1 analog pre amp, voila, you get Logic 7 and awesome 2 ch sound for a little over $2000.

The Rotel 1066 *would* be an alternative, but the "double bass" problem on the 5.1 inputs cannot be defeated, unless you spend $250 more an an OUTLAW ICBM, or get out a soldering iron and remove a resistor or two from a board inside the unit. (Details on htguide.com somewhere.)

The Classe is a reasonable choice, but I honestly think you're paying a premium for the name.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, as I know you as the second most famous KB in California, well third most famous KB if you count the dead heads :D I would have to remind you that he lives in Canada so the trial period is not as convenient for us red, white and bluers with shipping costs.

You and I both know what we have; not perfection, but for 900 good enough to recommend.

P.S. I know you are a Hockey fan, so I hope you enjoy the Ducks in the finals. Good Luck!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well, MA (where Outlaw is) isn't that far from Canada, is it? :D

The hockey gods certainly are smiling on Anaheim this year... :)

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I've read many good comments on Anthem's preamp and how good it is with music, Rotel RSP-1066 is another that deserve consideration. The Rotel can be had for less than 1,500. Both offer 7.1 support. Good Luck:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks