What's new

Pre Outs on Receiver. Needed? (1 Viewer)

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of buying either the Onkyo TX-SR600 or the Pioneer VSX-D811S. I am leaning toward the 811 because it has pre outs so I can add an amp later if I wanted to. My question is: Would I really want to add an amp to the 811? I mean, If I spend $1000 or so on an amp later down the road, is the 811 really what i want to process the DD and DTS sources. At this price range, are the pre outs just for show? Am I right to think that the decoding performance of the 811 is on par with higher level receivers, and the only reason that the 811 is cheap is because the amps are cheaper. True? Isn't processing pretty much the same for the most part?

P.J.

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the 811 after I decided against the Outlaw 950. I am using it with an Outlaw 750 amp for 5 channels and a NAD amp for the back channel (which I have split into two). I think it sound great and the processing is very quiet. I have no complaints. Before I hooked up the amps above I used it with the internal amps and it may be in my head but I thought it sounded better (smoother and better highs) with the external amps. I don't believe the preouts are for show, the preamp in my opinion is the best part of 811.

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
I don't doubt that with the Outlaw amp, you get better sound. I'm sure that it sounds great. Did you decide not to get the Outlaw 950 because it is so much more $$ than the 811? Or was it because the Outlaw 950 doesn't actually have true 6.1 sound? They seem to use their own 6.1 decoding scheme. (I think).

Things I like about the Onkyo:
1.Better Video bandwidth
2.More Power ( I know its not rated as high, but I still think its stronger)

Things I like about the Pioneer:
1. Pre Outs
2. Binding Posts for "B" speakers
3. Cheaper!!

P.J.

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator
Money was a consideration on the 950, but there was also a lot of controversy on the 950 and I thought I could always get one later and sell the 811 if I didn't like it-much smaller investment. I also felt that the decoding on the 811 was similiar enough to the 950 that I wasn't really missing anything other than the 950 has more bass control. The bass control on the 811 is limited (crossover at 100).

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I have a question for anyone who has the 711 or the 811 pioneer receiver.

It seems rather trivial, but do ether of theese receivers have equalizers? From what I could find it only has a bass/tremble controls.

I might be getting one online, and I just want to make sure before I buy. Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks