Pre-out center channel connection?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DarrenB, Aug 23, 2004.

1. DarrenB

DarrenB Extra

Has anyone out there connected their receiver center channel pre-out to an audio input on the TV? I was thinking about doing this so that I could use the internal speakers on my Samsung HLN467W as the center channel. Since the TV has an amplifier built in I was thinking this should work. Give me your thoughts on this please.

Additionally I would use a Y audio cable to connect the single Center output on the receiver to the L/R inputs on the TV.

Thanks,

Darren

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It will work, but you have to remember that the amplifier driving the TV speakers is pretty low-end – probably no more than 10-15 watts, and the speakers have similar power handling capabilities. You can expect that the TV speakers will start distorting long before the others do.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The sound quality will also be extremely inferior. TVs have speakers for the sake of having sound. Because the centre carries 95% of the dialog, it's an extremely important speaker in a home theatre configuration. It's not exactly a great solution if you can avoid it.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    You'd be better off setting your receiver to phantom mode thus redirecting the center channel sound to the left and right main speakers. Some people actually prefer to use phantom mode over having a dedicated center channel speaker. That would definitely sound better than trying to incorporate tv speakers into your system.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't like Phantom. It works, but I actually found it quite distracting when dialogue moved from one side to the other constantly.

I agree with Wayne, it will work, but it won't be the best setup. Give it a try, I'm sure it will work until you can get a dedicated center.

Yes, you could use a Y splitter to send the same signal to both speakers on the TV.