What's new

Pre-ordered my Sony DVP-NC650V...ship date?? (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Anyone else gonna dive into SACD/DVD with me?
I called Oade Bros. today and got a quote for $325. then i dialed J&R's number and got them to price match. the sales rep misquoted shipping as $7, so he was obligated to give it to me for $332 shipped! What a STEAL!!
well i pre-ordered and all is good, but nobody knows when it is actually coming in stock
frown.gif
. i called Sony and they gave me all this gibberish about how it's supposed to be a secret and he couldnt tell me until the release date was here. so i'm all set to receive my player in the next month or so...i cant wait!
any suggestions on how to hook it up to my Onkyo 595? i don't think i have composite (or component? i always get them comfused...), so should i go s-video? how about the audio?
if anyone knows the actual date of shipment to retailers, please tell! i'd be VERY interested in knowing! until then, i'll sit here in anxiety. thanks again KeithH!
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, I don't know when Sony's SACD/DVD players are set to ship. However, Crutchfield usually doesn't start taking pre-orders on products until they are fairly close to arriving.
As for connecting the 'NC650V, can you connect the video output directly to your TV? If you have component video or S-video inputs directly on your TV, use one of them. You would probably be best off with component video, but with an interlaced player like the 'NC650V, the benefit over S-video is not going to be as big as going to progressive scan and component video. By the way, composite video is the single RCA connection and offers the lowest resolution of the three types.
If you are going to connect the video output of the 'NC650V to your 'DS595, again, go with component video if you can. S-video should work well also. Avoid composite video.
With respect to audio output, note that SACD requires use of the analog outputs. For multi-channel SACD, you will have to use the 5.1-channel outputs on the 'NC650V, which means running six RCA cables to your receiver. I hope the 'DS595 has 5.1-channel inputs. It should. Most quality receivers do these days.
You can also run two RCA cables from the stereo analog outputs on the 'NC650V to your receiver for playback of stereo SACDs and CDs. For Sony's new SCD-XA777ES high-end multi-channel SACD player, I read that Sony recommends that you use the stereo analog outputs for stereo discs (CDs and SACDs) and the 5.1-channel outputs for multi-channel SACDs only. You can use the front left and right outputs of the 5.1-channel outputs for stereo discs, but Sony says the stereo analog outputs provide higher fidelity for stereo discs. The same may apply to the 'NC650V. Maybe the manual will say something about this.
With the 'NC650V, you could use the coaxial or optical digital output for CDs and DVDs, meaning that you would be using the DAC and Dolby Digital and DTS decoders in the receiver for these discs. Alternatively, you may find that the DAC in the 'NC650V is better than the one in your receiver for CDs. Also, the 'NC650V has both Dolby Digital and DTS decoders built in, so you could use the internal decoders for DVDs since you will be using the 5.1-channel outputs for multi-channel SACDs anyway. In the end, you will have to compare CD and DVD playback using the DAC and decoders in both the 'NC650V and 'DS595. Just remember that you will have to use the analog outputs for SACDs. Also, when you use the stereo analog outputs on the 'NC650V for CDs, make sure you engage the analog bypass mode on your receiver, if it has one, to prevent processing of the analog signals through the receiver's A/D and D/A converters. I would bet your receiver has an analog bypass mode.
So, you could find yourself running a lot of cables from the 'NC650V for optimal performance with stereo SACDs, multi-channel SACDs, CDs, and DVDs.
Oh, one more thing. If you do use the stereo analog outputs for stereo SACDs, it is imperative that you use an analog bypass mode on your receiver. You don't want to have analog SACD signals being coverted to PCM by your receiver's A/D converter.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 26, 2001 at 03:27 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i bought the dvd part of the player for when i can upgrade from my HTPC (see the website) 19" flatscreen monitor to a real tv. this will likely happen next year...still not sure whether to get some sweet PSB towers or spend some $$ for a tv for my next upgrade. either way, i think i'm gonna need some help with the setup process in the next few weeks when the unit arrives.
anyone in the Fort Worth/Dallas (heh) area know a store that sells SACDs? where could i go online to get some rock, rap, and classic rock discs, if those are out yet?
thanks again
patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, I can't tell you whether a TV or speakers would be a better bet. What speakers do you have now?
The only store I can suggest you check in your area for SACDs is Best Buy. I assume Best Buy is in Dallas/Fort Worth. Some Best Buy stores across the country have gotten in the Sony SCD-CE775 multi-channel changers and Sony SACDs. If you have a store in your area, looks for a Sony SACD display in the audio department. They have stereo SACDs for $16.99 (except the two-disc soundtrack to The Sopranos, which is $32.99) and multi-channel SACDs for $18.99.
Here are some web sites where you can buy SACDs:
www.elusivedisc.com www.acousticsounds.com www.amusicdirect.com www.hmv.com www.amazon.com www.cdnow.com
There are some rock and classic rock titles on SACD. I am not aware of any rap SACDs.
------------------
My:

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
From KeithH:
Oh, one more thing. If you do use the stereo analog outputs for stereo SACDs, it is imperative that you use an analog bypass mode on your receiver. You don't want to have analog SACD signals being coverted to PCM by your receiver's A/D converter.
--
Would this still be a problem if the receiver had 192/24 dac's?
Greg

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I don't see any problems using the 5.1 analog inputs for playing back stereo sacd's...Wouldn't it just produce a stereo signal and just "not utilize" the extra channels because nothing is being fed to them ?...very few receivers have a bypass analog stereo input. I have the Onkyo 575x and would use my SACD's through the 5.1 analog and CD's using the optical out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
A 24/192 DAC is still a PCM DAC, not a DSD DAC like that in an SACD player. Processing through the A/D and D/A converters is very likely to lead to sound degradation.
Anthony,
I am just quoting Sony's recommendation about playback of stereo SACDs with the SCD-XA777ES. Sony states that stereo SACDs (and I presume CDs) should be played through the stereo analog outputs for optimal fidelity. It could be that bass management circuitry that is applied to the 5.1-channel outputs could interfere with playback of stereo material. Maybe the stereo analog outputs provide more "pure" stereo signals. I am just guessing. If I owned the 'XA777ES, I would certainly test playback of stereo SACDs with both the stereo analog outputs and front left and right channel outputs from the 5.1-channel outputs. I would also look for such a statement about optimal playback of stereo SACDs in owner's manuals for other Sony multi-channel SACD players.
------------------
My:

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
check out my webpage for what gear and stuff i have. the speakers are a Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV package i got for free by winning hifi.com's monthly giveaway.
------------------
-Thomas

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, I checked out your web site that Marantz CC4000 looks very nice.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Truthfully, you should be able to get better speakers than the Cambridge SoundWorks package you have without going broke. New speakers would be a major benefit for SACD as well as CD. However, a bigger TV would be a welcome addition, I'm sure. Decisions, decisions. As I am more of a music fanatic than home theater, I would buy new speakers before a new TV. If you look at my home theater set-up (pictures are in my old house and some new equipment isn't listed; the equipment list is up to date), you will notice that I have several CD players, but only a 27" TV. For the size room I have, I don't feel the need to have a bigger TV than 27".
------------------
My:

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
yeah i looked at your site and i noticed that. didnt really think that deeply, but i do listen to music ALOT more than i watch movies. i think the speaker upgrade will come first (and might include towers
wink.gif
). can't wait until next july!!!
patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well im a freshman in a dorm now and next year i move into a bigger room (either a frat house or an apartment). that's when my purchase date is for the next upgrade AND I CANT WAIT!!
------------------
-Thomas

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Here's why Sony recommends the use of the dedicated stereo outs on the XA777ES:
1. When playing stereo SACD's, the 6 SACD dacs used in multi-ch mode are used in a 3+3 configuration i.e. 3 SACD dacs for the left channel and 3 SACD dacs for the right channel, which improves fidelity.
2. When playing a Redbook CD, only the dedicated stereo outputs (and digital outs) are utilized.
This is why the manual says to use the stereo outs for 2-ch SACD's and CD's. The 5.1 multi-ch outputs are only utilized when playing a multi-ch SACD. They do not work when playing a stereo SACD or regular CD.
------------------
Q

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Now I'm more confused...I ordered the ce775 but never had the chance to look at the back panel....I'm asuming the machine has :
a)stereo analog (for 2 channel sacd and regular cd's)
b)Optical out (for regular cd's only)
c)5.1 analog out (for multichannel sacd)
My question is, If I'm playing a stereo sacd I need to set my onkyo to utilize the analog inputs for this type of playback....If I want to use the optical out for regular cd's I need to switch my receiver back to digital ?...I heard you can't play sacd's through your optical out because of copyright issues. If this is the case It's going to be a pain in the ass to switch between analog and optical all the time on my Onkyo. What's going to happen when I mix sacd's stereo,multichannel and cd's for a party or something ?

anthony_b

Screenwriter
After visiting the cruthcfield site I answered my own questions...The changer itself would know when to send output via optical or analog. In other words, if the player detects a 16bit pcm layer, it would use the optical. If it's a stereo sacd, it would know to use the analog output. But I'm thinking they may still be an issue when playing back stereo and multichannel tracks. For example: if you are going to play a stereo sacd you would select "CD" on your receiver right ? so, when you are ready to play a multi channel sacd you would choose your 5.1 input right ? what happens when you mix them in your player ?..the reason for this question is because Sony is recomending to use the stereo analog only for stereo sacd's !?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,
I remember my smallish dorm rooms back in the day and can understand your anticipation.
Joe,
Thanks for the info. I had read about the six-DAC system utilized in the 'XA777ES. However, I was not aware that the front left and right outputs of the 5.1-channel outputs would not work for CDs and stereo SACDs. Thanks for the clarification.
Anthony,
You should be able to use the stereo analog outputs for CD playback as well as playback of stereo SACDs. In other words, you should have the option to use the DAC in the SACD player for playback of CDs. I assume that if you run both RCA cables from the stereo analog outputs and an optical digital cable from the 'CE775, both will operate when playing a CD. I don't think you can turn off the digital output on the 'CE775. Some of Sony's higher-end SACD players (e.g., SCD-777ES and SCD-1) allow you to do this. Anyway, which output you are hear on the 'CE775 will depend on the source you have selected on your pre-amp or receiver. If you use both the 'CD' stereo analog inputs and the 'CD' digital input on your pre-amp or receiver, then you will have to select the input you want to use for the 'CD' source.
Since you have to use different outputs for CDs or stereo SACDs and multi-channel SACDs, you raise an interesting point when wanting to switch between them. I don't have a multi-channel SACD player yet, but I guess you will have to switch the source on your pre-amp or receiver manually. The problem is that this could affect your ability to run shuffle play smoothly, depending on how the player is designed. I assume that if you were to load the carousel with five multi-channel SACDs, all of which have stereo SACD tracks, and engage shuffle play starting on a multi-channel track, then only multi-channel tracks will be selected. It would probably only switch to stereo SACD tracks if you manually hit the "multi-channel/stereo" button on the front panel or remote. You would probably have to stop the shuffle mode momentarily to do this. Likewise, if you started with a stereo track, then I would guess that only stereo tracks would be selected. The problem that arises is what does the player do when you load multi-channel SACDs and stereo-only SACDs and/or CDs? I am guessing that if the player is set to multi-channel mode, then it will ignore CDs and stereo-only SACDs in the carousel during shuffle play.
So, I am thinking that the 'CE775 (and probably the 'C222ES, 'C555ES, and 'NC650V), can only do stereo-only or multi-channel-only shuffle play. That would make sense. Of course, if the 'CE775 allows you to use the front left and right outputs of the 5.1-channel outputs for stereo playback (CDs and SACDs), then all bets are off on shuffle mode. In this case, the player could alternate between stereo and multi-channel material during shuffle play, in principle. I don't know if only the 'XA777ES requires use of the stereo analog outputs for CDs and stereo SACDs.
Whew!
------------------
My:

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I am 99% sure that you can use the 5.1 outputs for sacd's that are 2 channel. Now wanting to might be a different story because of bass management settings/ hassles.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I agree with Jason. When I had a 5.1 ready receiver with an outboard decoder, I would play may cd's on my DVD player using the 5.1 inputs. It would simply play in stereo. I should have my player by Monday the latest and I will let everyone know.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
I am 100% sure you CANNOT use the L/R outputs of the 5.1 output set when playing a stereo SACD on the SCD-XA777ES.
------------------
Q

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks