Pre-Loaded Memory Cards?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos Mendoza, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Just curious, why isn't there a mini-industry out there whereby the truly awesome game players sell an aging gamer like me a memory card for a game you've already beaten and unlocked extra features/levels?

For example, my blood pressure rises with my frustration every time I play Rogue Leader. I'm quickly become convinced that my better days as a gamer are pretty-much behind me, and I don't think I will EVER be able to beat every level with a gold medal.

Now, because I'd like to play some levels as Darth's Tie Fighter, and some of the other cool ships, I *MIGHT* be willing to pay for YOUR expertise. (I say "might" because I haven't yet totally given up!)

So say you've unlocked all the secrets/levels on Rogue Leader, You could easily make a copy from one memory card to another one, leaving you with your original, and leaving the copy available for purchase.

What would you charge? Of course you would expect to recover the cost of the memory card, and also shipping costs, but would you charge an additional amount for your time trouble? How much?

I've checked Ebay and have yet to see such offerings. Am I the only one who would be interested in such exchanges?

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I'm not sure if any other console is capable of this, but i know when the dreamcast came out it allowed the user to download saved games to the vmu via the modem. this was an excellent idea and there are a plentiful number of saved games that can be found at gamefaqs and similar sites.
    I hope as the new consoles become "internet ready" these saved games become available again.
    btw i suck at rogue leader as well or i'd offer help[​IMG]

3. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Carlos,

I don't know if you're familiar with the 'DexDrive' at all. It's a device for PSX that allow you to transfer memory card saves to a hard drive. What people have done at gamefaqs.com is post their dex drive saves to the site, then people can download them and transfer them to a memory card. I've never done it, but a friend of mine does all the time.

I've been tempted to use one for Final Fantasy 7 (the only one I never finished...) but that's it.

Perhaps there is a Dex Drive on the way for PS2 cards and GameCube cards. I have no idea though.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

GameShark was making cheat devices that were game specific for a while.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

There are going to be 2 developments on this front that are interesting. The first is that Nintendo is making an SD-memory compatible insert for the memory slot. This will allow memory swapping between the Nintendo and your PC.

Secondly, when animal forest plus comes out next year, it will include a memory card - preloaded with random NES games.

I can't wait for both developments.

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

7. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

About a month ago, I did this. There was a guy on EBay who, for $15, would load all his saves onto your PS2 card. I did it, and got all the GT3: A-Spec cars unlocked, and a couple other saves for games I do not yet have. I'll see if I can find his email address for you. If not, I'll check my PS2 memory card when I get home and you can let me know if there's any saves you want. I'd copy them for you for the cost of postage.

-Erik

8. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, but I'm pretty solid on PS2. My kids and I have beaten Rayman2 and unlocked all the stuff on SSX. Right now, it's just Rogue Leader that's driving me nuts on GameCube.

I don't really want to buy a GameShark (assuming they make one for Gamecube), because then I'll be too tempted to cheat on games that haven't "beaten" me yet.

I like the Idea of the downloads from the PC though. That way, you can pick and choose.

And BTW, I've made a little progress on Rogue Leader since I last posted. I'm now on "Raid on Bespin" and I've managed to get a couple of Bronzes on the earlier levels, so there may be hope for me yet!

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In a magazine, I saw an ad for X-Box memory cards that came in several colors (like 5 cards in one pack), all were lifetime guaranteed, and came with saves for Project Gotham and something else, or it was something like that.

10. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I saw some XBox licenced third party memory cards that claimed to have exclusive EA game saves preloaded.

jeremy