What's new

Pre-Calibrated Projectors - Feasible??? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've heard from many of our resident experts here over the years and the feedback is unanimous. "To get the best out of any projector, a professional calibration is required." For those of us with existing projectors, that often means asking a certified calibrator to travel to our location, a presumably expensive option. But what about new purchases?

Would it be feasible to buy the projector and then have it professionally calibrated prior to shipping, or is calibration more of a subjective experience, better if performed in the room where the projector will ultimately be used? Looking for feedback from @Robert_Zohn in particular but also interested in general thoughts.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
For a projector I also recommend having it professionally calibrated in your theater.

It's not an issue for a TV to be calibrated at a proper calibration controlled room, but projectors have more variables, specifically the screen fabric, screen size, and how far the projector is from the screen and if you are using any lens shifting.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks guys. I guess it figures, if it were feasible, someone would already be offering the service. On the other hand, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. :)

Is there a list of certified calibrators out there somewhere? I don't know who to get in touch with in my area.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I imagine it’s true of your Epson as well, but on my 5030 the built in presets are actually really good.

A couple decades of working in various roles in TV and home media businesses means I can eyeball a set or projector pretty decently and get even closer with a calibration disc, and when I went to adjust the Epson 5030 I was so pleasantly surprised that the “THX” preset was so good that there really wasn’t an adjustment worth making unless I was willing to really get into the weeds, which I wasn’t. My room setup isn’t permanent enough to justify the time or expense of going pro but thats the dream - to have a setup permanent enough to be able to make those kinds of investments in it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I imagine it’s true of your Epson as well, but on my 5030 the built in presets are actually really good.

A couple decades of working in various roles in TV and home media businesses means I can eyeball a set or projector pretty decently and get even closer with a calibration disc, and when I went to adjust the Epson 5030 I was so pleasantly surprised that the “THX” preset was so good that there really wasn’t an adjustment worth making unless I was willing to really get into the weeds, which I wasn’t.

That's the key. You know what to look for. My setup looks great [to my eyes] with suitably great source material but since I lack the objective knowledge to be certain with tuning, a professional calibration is something I would consider if I could achieve it affordably.

My room setup isn’t permanent enough to justify the time or expense of going pro but thats the dream - to have a setup permanent enough to be able to make those kinds of investments in it.

Just a matter of time. Reminds me of one of my favorite tunes.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys, sorry I'm late to the party.

"on my 5030 the built in presets are actually really good" ...guaranteed not even close (even if using THX mode). There are too many tricks that the eyes play and we perceive white, even when it is not white, etc etc to get this correct by eye ball.

Calibration is NOT a subjective process (for the most part). It is 95% objective using the proper signal generation and light measurement tools and software.

Projectors definitely need to be calibrated in their final resting place. Some manufacturers do claim to calibrate them during the assembly process, but I have never seen one actually "some what" accurate out of the box (and I have experience with 500 plus PJs. )

If you are in need of finding a qualified calibrator, www.pva.tv has a good listing. If you dont see somebody in your area give me an email at [email protected] and I can make some further recommendations.

Regards

Gregg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
hi guys, sorry I'm late to the party.

"on my 5030 the built in presets are actually really good" ...guaranteed not even close (even if using THX mode). There are too many tricks that the eyes play and we perceive white, even when it is not white, etc etc to get this correct by eye ball.

Calibration is NOT a subjective process (for the most part). It is 95% objective using the proper signal generation and light measurement tools and software.

Projectors definitely need to be calibrated in their final resting place. Some manufacturers do claim to calibrate them during the assembly process, but I have never seen one actually "some what" accurate out of the box (and I have experience with 500 plus PJs. )

If you are in need of finding a qualified calibrator, www.pva.tv has a good listing. If you dont see somebody in your area give me an email at [email protected] and I can make some further recommendations.

Regards

Gregg
Great info. Thanks for weighing in, Gregg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukeholland
Recent bookmarks