Pre-Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Okay, mock me if you must, I know this is a hugely newbie question, but what does a pre-amp do? I mean, you've got a source, and you've got an amp, does there really need to be something in between, and why?

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Well, most amps don't have a volume control, and that's always a nice thing to have. [​IMG] On the amps that do have volume control, many people do just run the source to the amp directly. Besides volume control though in a pre/pro you have DAC's, video switching, and perhaps some decoding of some sort, such as DD or DTS, etc., maybe even a tuner. Hope this helps.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

For starters, volume control.

The amp will put out a full signal if hooked directly up to a source component unless that source component has a line level output control. You'll blow your speakers man!!!

The pre/pros in this part of the board are basically the ones that do all the processing for Home Theater. You cannot hook a DVD player directly up to an amp for you won't get the correct processing for Dolby Digital and DTS.

Two channel stereo pre-amps do far less than the HT pre/pros but I'm not going to touch on what specific job they do to the signal...I'll let dedicated two channel guru's chime in on that one.

4. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Riiiight... okay, that makes sense... I guess I wasn't thinking... when I said amp, I meant reciever, but you don't need one for a reciver... duhhh.... alrighty thanks...