What's new

Pre-amp with optical input/output to boost weak sound (1 Viewer)

distortedstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan R. Hale
Okay, so I recently bought a "1000 watt" system that ended up sounding pretty weak when I plugged the tv in through optical digital (the ONLY audio output on my tv). Analog sources like mp3 players sound pretty loud, but the dvd player (either directly into the reciever or through the tv) and the tv still sound weak, volume-wise. Turning volume on the tv doesn't do anything...apparently the digital out bypasses the tv's volume controls. I don't really want to return the system, so I'm looking for ways to boost the digital audio signal from the tv. Is there such a thing as digital pre-amp with optical input/output? Would these be expensive? I'm on a real tight budget...this "1000 watt" system is kind of disappointing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a surprise. considering you don't even want to mention the brand, I expect it is best taken back.

distortedstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan R. Hale
It's an RCA system...bought for $145 on sale on Wal-Mart...got it main for the optical input, since most others with optical input were a lot more expensive, I'm putting in a pretty small room. Basically the reason I don't want to return it is that I've already mounted the speakers, etc...it would just take a lot of work to box it up and go through the hassel...and then to get another one with optical input I'd just have shell out another couple hundred...I'd rather just get a pre-amp or something, if it's possible. Do you think that's an option?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, there is no such thing I am aware of, and if there was I'm sure it would cost more than the system you bought.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry I couldn't give more positive advice, but those systems can be pretty strange. I saw one once which called itself a "5.1" surround system. Out of curiosity I took a look at the back and realized there was no way it could even work. I don't remember what the hitch was, except it simply didn't all connect together.

distortedstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan R. Hale
It's all good. That's what I get for not doing any research. After I bought it I looked up some reviews online...everyone had volume issues. I just a ordered slightly more expensive, but much better rated system by Sony for pickup at Circuit City....very few reviewers had volume issues with this system, and those that did were able to resolve them by hooking up through the satellite receiver. Hopefully it'll work out better this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks