Pre-amp questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Wilmore, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I currently am using a HK 2.1 5 channel amp to power 5 4.0 Norh ceramic speakers. I also have a Rava sub. I am using a Yamaha rxv-800 receiver as a preamp. The crossover on the Yamaha is preset at 90 hz. My question is I really wany to lower the crossover point to 80 hz. Is there any way to bypass the internal Yamaha crossover? What type of difference in sound will I hear by changing the crossover to 80hz?

I have also noticed that there are two preamps available on Ubid and Ebay, that I can buy at approximately the same cost I should be able to sell my Yamaha receiver for. They are the Sherwood avp-9080, and the Harman Kardon 2.1. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these? Thanks.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

1) In real life, I don't actually think you'd hear much difference between 90 and 80 Hz as a crossover point.
    (But, small aside, I have a pre/pro where I can set any crossover for any speaker, and I use 80 Hz all around. I have been looking at newer receivers as pre/pros, and I'm waiting until Yamaha "fixes" that problem before I'd buy one. 80 Hz is the THX recommended crossover pt, for what it's worth. Plus, 80 Hz is generally taken to be the highest number to *not* being able to localize low freqs to where the sub is located. But again, in real life? Probably not going to notice it much. I used a Yamaha RX-V793 a long time ago as a DD pre/pro, and sounded fine to me! [​IMG] )
    2) You might try a search on the HK 2.1 on the forum. I know there were a bunch of posts a while back, because this is a *very* similar unit to the Citation 5.0.