What's new

pre amp / processor suggestions (1 Viewer)

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
First off, I would like to let everyone know how much I've enjoyed lurking in the shadows watching and learning.

I have a parasound 855A amp that I am looking to pair a pre amp/processor with. I want something reasonable in the say $500 dollar range (slightly used condition) to pair with the amp. The preamp must have at least DD decoding, and prefereably DTS as well. Nothing too far above the class of the parasound amp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially nudges in the direction of stuff being sold over in the for sale area...

Oh, one more thing... this combo will likely be paired with B&W 603's sometime in distant future.

Regards,

Brian

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
About two years ago I found a Parasound dealer selling a P/SP-1500 and a P/DD 1500 combo for about $1000. The P/SP 1500 itself is like a $1200 A/V preamp (analog DPL, built-in S-video switching, no phono input, 25-pin DB25 processor input) and I got the accompaning P/DD 1500 thrown in which offers DD5.1, Digital Pro Logic, 2 coax digital inputs and 1 toslink optical input. Automatic PCM/Bitsream detection, THX processing, trim controls, etc. etc. They're not mfgered anymore but you might be able to find them real cheap now. Would be nice with your Parasound amp as you'll be able to use the 12v trigger built into the Parasound preamp/processor. And you might be able to find the upgraded P/DD-1550 which is basically like the 1500 except it also has DTS processing. I'm pretty happy with mine, especially for the s-video switching. I just wish that it had more toslink inputs and that the software offer a manual mode for selecting PCM data (CDs, music) or a bitstream (DD/DTS, etc) because with the autodetection circuitry takes about a second to determine, for audio CD's every track will cause the processor to think and you'll lose the first second of music on every track. It'll happen for DVDs in DD/DTS too but since there's always stuff in the beginning, it's completely transparent and no big deal, but for audio CDs, it's noticeable. Of course, this is only if you use the DACs in the processor, not if you use your CD player
s DACs connected to the preamp itself, but I had an older CD player at the time and it sounded much better with the Parasound DACs than what it came with. Now I have a Meridian 506.20 and it's great.
Jay
P.S. welcome to the HTF! :)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Brian,

I'm not sure what you can get for $500, but I can tell you what I use with my 2-channel music system, which is a Parasound 1100D preamp and Parasound 1205a 5 channel amp.

I have integrated a Technics SH500D DD/DTS processor for HT with my 2-channel music system.

The Technics processor is only used for DD and DTS playback, that means I don't use it for playing CD's (PCM decoding of CDs) when I listen to music. I didn't like the way the SH500 decodes PCM, but DD and DTS are really good.

The SH500 should be in the $100-200 range used.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Brian:

For $500, get yourself a receiver w/ preouts. It will have most of the newest decoding/processing features and it will be easier to sell when you're ready to move on.

My 2 cents.

Rich B.

KeithR

Second Unit
Look on Ubid etc for HK Signature 2.0s...you can find them new for 400. They have 5.1 bypass, and dd/dts. I would bet money, it has a better prepro section than any receiver under 2k.

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your suggestions... I'm trying to move away from receivers and into separates so that I can have some upgradeability and not have to toss the whole receiver when it becomes obsolete...

I'll try and look for an HK 2.0, I'm using one of their receivers at the moment and an fairly satisfied with it's quality. Thanks again.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks