pre amp-power amp/receiver for ML Ascents

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by aron_w, Mar 20, 2004.

1. aron_w

aron_w Auditioning

I have been blessed by a stereophile uncle with a pair of Martin Logan Ascent speakers which he has decided do not hold a candle to his Quad 57's. Right now I only have a 6 year old H/K AVR 40 receiver. I have been told that it is significantly underpowered for those speakers. It has been suggested that I go find a Rotel RB-991. Any other suggestions for what to use for less than say $1500. I would consider used equipment as well. I also would not necessarily require a ht setup, hifi is fine with me. Thanks for all the advice I've gotten here, this place is great.

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Aron,

head over to here and ask again, you will get lots of great suggestions (much like this site...)

www.martinloganowners.com

to answer your question, The avr will play ( it might shut down at loud volumes...) but it will not sound as good as it can [​IMG] Save up and get a good 2 channel amp, I am not keen on the rotel, ml combo ymmv. people will pan me for this but sunfire amps and ML speakers work well together.

anyway enjoy, you are correct you have been blessed... Nice uncle!!!

Miles

3. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

ML speakers operate at a nominal impedance of 4 ohms and at some frequencies they can get down to 2 ohms. So you will need an amp that is stable at low impedance and can provide lots of current. Unfortunately these amps can be on the expensive side.

A used Bryston 3B-ST comes to mind. It's rated at 125W/ch into 8 ohms but will put out closer to 160W/ch. At four ohms the amp is stable and will give 200W/ch and lots of current. You can probably get one on ebay or Audiogon for around $800 or less. Others include the Anthem MCA-20, used B&K Reference 200.2, used McCormack DNA-125, Parasound Halo A23, and the Rotel RB1080. I'm sure there are several other stable high current amps as well but the ones above will get you started.

Good luck.

MT

4. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Any amp over 40lbs shall do. Actually, pay some attention to system matching as ML are somewhat partial to some amps over others. I also would look at amps that have 4 output connectors for biwiring.