Pre-Amp Needed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Stewart, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Stephen Stewart

Stephen Stewart Auditioning

I have a Sony935 receiver and a 5.1Ch setup with complete Polk Equipment. I read in a thread that a pre-amp will help to clean my sound. My Dad has a very powerful MARANTZ receiver that must be 30 years old but it can still put out some tremendous sound! I was wondering whether it would be possible to use his receiver, and if so, how is a Pre-Amp hooked into the system?
    Thanks,
    Stephen [​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi stephen -

i think you're asking for a "amp"...not a pre-amp? the pre-amp is the part that controls the volume and switches the sources. it sends it's output to the amp - to which you connect the speakers.

in any case, if you want to use an external amp, you need to make sure that your sony has what are commonly called "pre-outs" on the back. if so, you can run cables from the pre-out to the amp, then connect your speakers to the amp instead of the receiver.

i've never used an external amp, but from what i hear, you'll definitely get better sound - since the "outboard" amp will (typically) do a better job.