Pre-amp: Denon AVR-3801 vs Acurus ACT3-ABM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Purnam, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Purnam

Purnam Auditioning

Looking for some thoughts on the AVR-3801 (as a pre-amp) vs. the Acurus ACT3-ABM pre-amp.
    I need it for both music (60%) and home theatre (40%). (ignore the tuner and the amp in the 3801 for this discussion, as well as the price difference between them).
    Which is the better pre-amp in this application? Does the ACT3 have as many surround modes as the 3801? Other differences/limitations of ACT3 vs 3801 i.e. music quality,etc? thanks, Purnam
    thanks,
    Purnam

2. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Has the ACT3 been upgraded, or is Mondial still sitting on their hands ignoring their customers? At one time the ACT-3 was considered the best, or at least one of the best pre/pros in it's price range. Since that time though, they've failed to offer upgrades and features that other companies have long since offered.
    I must say I'm disappointed in Mondial. Not only have I seen nothing on their new A200X5 amp, their website still hasn't even gotten a picture of it yet, nor any info. Not only that but their ACT-3 still only employs 20 bits per channel as opposed to 24 bit. One last question. Why does the Mondial Designs website also have Klipsch in it? Have they purchased Klipsch or is it the other way around?
    [Edited last by Hubert on September 29, 2001 at 04:47 PM]

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I doubt that if the ACT-3 would sound much much better!
    I don't know how anyone could answer this question without comparing the two side by side,preferably DBT.
    Of course you can go by the old separates always better scenario,and jump on the Acurus,or the one convenient package afforded by the Denon.
    I think either way you'll be happy.
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

What's the story on the mondial preamp? are there any known bugs? does it have the latest software?
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

hubert:
    klipsch bought out mondial and have since decided to shelve the acurus line and focus on the aragon line. that's not to say that the acurus line is totally dead...rumor has it that it will be revised later just right now the focus is on aragon. as far as the a200x5 goes, it looks like all the other amps with the oval cut out face, except the metal inside the oval is a brushed steel with the acurus logo in black.
    kevin t

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Purnam:
    Get the 3802 receiver instead of the 3801. Don't get the ACT-3.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!