What's new

Pre-90s catalog on Blu - A comprehensive list (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Added:

The Twelve Chairs (1970)
Silent Movie (1976)
High Anxiety (1977)
History of the World: Part I (1981)
To Be or Not to Be (1983)

All coming 12/15/09 from Fox via the Mel Brooks Collection

Brandon, just a heads up. A slew of catalogue blus released by Studio Canal in region B territories, many of which are reported as region-A compatible; do you include those on your list then? I wasn't sure. The titles which are AB on the disc, not sure whether that correlates to actual unlockedness are: Ran (1990... Damn) Deer Hunter (1978)... Massive improvement over three-year old US blu! Le Mepris (1963).Belle du Jour and Last Year at Marienbad appear to be region-locked, if you believe the packaging, but you already have the latter via Criterion.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Hey Ben. Thanks for the info.

I only track US releases, but Ray is tracking other territories in another thread here and I'm sure he'd love the help: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/292440/pre-90-s-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-a-non-usa-alternately-comprehensive-list

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Added The Music Man
I'm really excited about that one, but whoever designed the cover "art" for it should be in Trouble with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "D" and that stands for "Dismissed."

Originally Posted by MatthewA /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list/60#post_3614364
I'm really excited about that one, but whoever designed the cover "art" for it should be in Trouble with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "D" and that stands for "Dismissed."
I know, right... What happened to Warner's beautiful packaging of classic musicals like the Judy Garland ones... They were going so well on DVD. I loved all those original theatrical art releases. They've just done one for Wagon Train that I've ordered. But not for blu ray because of this perception that its a PS3-owner's format. but why bother trying to make a 1962 musical like The Music Man or a 1958 musical like South Pacific look like a modern release? I think those covers look like the sort of releases that fans of musicals would buy, not fans of classic film, so maybe that makes sense.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Added the following:

The Crazies (1973) (Blue Underground) - coming to Blu-ray 2/23/10
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) (Fox) - coming to Blu-ray TBA 2010

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I appreciate a list like this since I just joined the Blu-ray club. I felt lost, not knowing what is currently available. Browsing in stores isn't much help - many retailers only carry the mainstream stuff while others don't stock every title. I'll be referring to this list quite often - thanks!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Added the following:

Contempt (1963) (Lionsgate) - coming to Blu-ray 2/16/10
The Ladykillers (1955) (Lionsgate) - coming to Blu-ray 2/16/10
Ran (1985) (Lionsgate) - coming to Blu-ray 2/16/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics