What's new

Pre-90s catalog on Blu - A comprehensive list (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Looks like Disney has switched out Dumbo for Fantasia for the March 2010 release.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3294

Fantasia probably moved (tentatively) to the March 2011 slot. I'll list it as TBD.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I wouldn't take anything Ultimate Disney posts.. in fact I am shocked BD.com posted that story at all. It is a very odd choice DUMBO has been released 3 times on DVD that I can think of... and it isn't a huge seller at all. Very sort of low key title to release. I would buy it but... FANTASIA would out sell DUMBO any day. Very Odd news... I would rather wait to hear what the Disney company says about the release and the reason for the change since Destino was to be released along with Fantasia

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, I'm sure we'll know officially when copies of Snow White make it into hands of reviewers, as it will certainly have an ad for the next Diamond release. Until then, this list is easily edited...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
it will more than likely be true because Fantasia is the title I want more than any other Disney title on BD... but no where does Ultimate Disney's message say that FANTASIA was canceled. It coudl be that Disney wants to release more titles per year. 2 per year is a very slow moving so I could see them hitting out some titles like Dumbo, Robin Hood, to help boost their bank account. Then again who knows. I just hope Disney makes an announcement soon and more info on Fantasia.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm getting The Lady Killers and The Dam Busters from the U.K. this September. They're coming out in the last two weeks of September in a row and I'll probably get 'em in the first week of Octcember....

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list/30#post_3597614
it will more than likely be true because Fantasia is the title I want more than any other Disney title on BD... but no where does Ultimate Disney's message say that FANTASIA was canceled. It coudl be that Disney wants to release more titles per year. 2 per year is a very slow moving so I could see them hitting out some titles like Dumbo, Robin Hood, to help boost their bank account. Then again who knows. I just hope Disney makes an announcement soon and more info on Fantasia.
I could see this. It may be that since they are (supposedly) releasing Fantasia/2000 alongside the original film that they removed Fantasia from the Diamond Collection line. So, they could release all 3 films (Dumbo, Fantasia, Fantasia/2000) on Blu within the Q1/Q2 2010 time period and not disrupt their Diamond Collection pattern of every 6 months.

Dumbo might be short and modest, and probably not as important as Fantasia for Blu , but I think its a beautiful piece of work.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I sincerely doubt Dumbo has been added to the Platinum/Diamond/whatever-jewel-they're-using-now Collection. A wonderful movie, yes, but it has not been out of print since 1980. I believe it's already on iTunes (although Aladdin is, too).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Kino jumps on the Blu-ray bandwagon with plans to release The General on 11/10/09. This easily becomes the earliest film to be released on BD in the US, proceeding Snow White by 11 years.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It looks like Disney has Dumbo slated for February, and Fantasia (as well as Fantasia/2000) slated for May. That's definitely good news to see Disney increasing their output.

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17048

I believe Sunrise (1927), which comes out on Sep 22 in the UK is the second earliest, not Snow White, but perhaps you only mean Region A.The General will be the first proper silent film on blu ray; there is an alternate silent version of Sunrise, but its proper original version has a soundtrack of synchronised effects and music, technically making it the earliest sound film on Blu i'm sure, a record its sure to keep.
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kino jumps on the Blu-ray bandwagon with plans to release The General on 11/10/09. This easily becomes the earliest film to be released on BD in the US, proceeding Snow White by 11 years.

Not surprising. The 90's is where Home Video exploded, and its also the era that many ps3 owners grew up in. And, less surprisingly, its the most recent complete decade, so yeah.

The 80's is getting pretty full too, but here's hoping every decade eventually gets too huge to keep track of, which will mean we'll have a DVD-like catalogue available in high def.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Rachael B /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list#post_3591746
I got my Momitsu from Hong Kong Flix. That's where I got my Oppo 971 years ago. The player has worked out nicely. The Momitsu ought to play your DVD's just as well as your Oppo, I'd quesstimate.
You got your Oppo player 971 years ago? Wow, you really were an early adopter.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by Point-Blank /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list/30#post_3603940
You got your Oppo player 971 years ago? Wow, you really were an early adopter.
I heard about the OPPO 971 at AVS Forum back in '03 when it first surfaced. It wasn't very expensive so I jumped on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks