What's new

Praise the Lords of Kobol! Galactica returns! (again!) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ORIGINAL MINISERIES

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (4-hour miniseries) - SCI FI re-imagines the

groundbreaking and beloved series in which "a rag, tag fugitive fleet" of the

last remnants of mankind searches for its true home. Fleeing the aliens

responsible for the slaughter of their homeworld, the Battlestar Galactica

survivors must meet a whole new set of challenges. This intriguing twist on a

classic will be written by writer Ronald D. Moore (Roswell, Mission

Impossible II) with Breck Eisner (Steven Spielberg's Taken; The Invisible

Man) attached to direct. Distributed by USA Cable Entertainment, the project

will be executive produced by David Eick (American Gothic, Hercules: The

Legendary Journeys, Spy Game).

Now, what happened to Tom DeSanto?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
SciFi announced many tv movies that they never actually develop, so this is still not a sure thing.

--

Still waiting for someone to start an Apollo Coffee chain to compete with Starbucks

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Still waiting for someone to start an Apollo Coffee chain to compete with Starbucks
You do realize that they were named after the character in Moby Dick, not the character from Battlestar Galactica right? Please tell me you were kidding. :)
Back on-topic, Damn I sure hope this series comes to fruition. I just hope they don't get actors that would be Richard Hatch and Lorne Greene clones.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hot damn! (Too bad I have no cable.)

I bet Richard Hatch gets a cameo. . .he's got a website where he promotes BG some.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Now, what happened to Tom DeSanto?
Maybe they couldn't afford him when the project went from a semi-major-network series to a cable mini-series and backdoor pilot? Stranger things have been known to happen - check out the credits on Universal's original "The Invisible Man" pilot at the IMDB (Dick Wolf producing a project with Kyle McLachlin and Elisabeth Rohm).

Or, he could still be involved but not as day-to-day, or just not listed because these are the new guys attached to the project. Or or, his BSG series could even be a seperate project from this miniseries.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The big thing with me is that Tom DeSanto passed the Galactica fanboy test, so I was pretty sure he wasn't going to screw this up. I don't know if these guys do.

I'm very sure this is going to happen since the sets and props for the Fox pilot were mothballed up in Canada. This saves Sci-Fi a lot of time and money.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I didn't really think Starbucks had any relationship to Galactica. If it did, Starbucks would have been a cigar shop, anyway.

What sets were mothballed? The old Galactica sets?

Jesse Brickzin

Stunt Coordinator
If it comes to life I will certainly watch it.... now where are the DVD's for the original series?
If you have a DVD Player like the malata or any of the other PAL-NTSC Converter Multi-region players, Australia will be releasing the whole series on 8 dvd's in a box set(except the 1980 spin-off series Galactica 1980) on June 12th.
220130.jpg

I'll be looking forward to June 12th :)
Battlestar Australia :)
I'll be looking forward to the Mini-series aswell when it gets off the ground....

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Even if it was region free, you'd need a PAL conversion capable DVD player, wouldn't you? I'm not entirely up to speed, but I think that's correct.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh. Apparently, DeSanto doesn't know where this leaves him either, according to AICN. Which, really, kind of stinks - having your labor of love yanked away can't be any fun, if that's the case here.
Not that I'm certain it would necessarily be a good thing to have someone who "passes the fanboy test" in charge, although I figure it's in good hands with Ron Moore.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Bryan Singer/Tom DeSanto Galactica pilot/TV movie that was days from starting production with Ian McKellan as Adama, but was axed at the last minute when Fox decided Singer should work more on X-Men 2. The props and sets were from that

The Galactica sets were trashed even before G:1980 started, which is why they only ever went to an itty bitty portion of the bridge. The full size Viper was retrofitted to Buck Rogers' ship, and now all that's left of the full size one is the cockpit rusting in Universal's trash heap (I've seen pictures of it!)

John C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if any of you are aware of this but the current version scraps all work done before and is a "reimagining" of the series. No old cast members, no used footage from Richard Hatch's pilot. No anything that made the original so good. :angry: There is a petition going around now ( I don't have the link) so I suggest all Galactica fans sign it. All this work so someone else can fuck it up is beyond me.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't consider Ron Moore the up-fucking type, though. The man has made every series he has worked on - TNG, DS9, GvsE, "Roswell", and even "Voyager" (for the brief month or so he was there) better. I don't know how much attachment he has to "Galactica", but if it's even a fraction of what he had for Trek, then the franchise is in good hands.

Of course, if he basically looks at it as a way to write Trek again without having to work with Berman & Braga, that could be pretty bad.

I don't know if any of you are aware of this but the current version scraps all work done before and is a "reimagining" of the series. No old cast members, no used footage from Richard Hatch's pilot. No anything that made the original so good.
Now, the last doesn't necessarily follow from the rest. Certainly, Universal/USA/Sci-Fi etc. could have made a "sequel" series, but that would be picking up from what happened 22+ years earlier and mostly appeal to the die-hard fanatics - and it would have lots of cast members who can pick up social security.

But, if the new crew basically remembers what made the original well-liked, and maintains that while still making a series designed to appeal to today's tastes, how's that a bad thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks